1,000$ Worth of gear.returns anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drewchav, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

I recently spent over 1,000 at guitar center. I bought a gibson sg 70's tribute, a GH100L laney head, and a 4x12 1960A cabinet. So I demo'd the head on a doffering cab since I ordered some of the stuff offline. When I had all the gear at home. The sound was not absolutely awful, but I wasnt pleased. I'm looking for a really warm high gain amp that has plenty of distortion so I don't need pedals. Something really bass like... Doesn't seem like there are a lot of ways to dial this laney but the gain sounds choppy and scratchy and the bass hardly makes any difference to warm it up. I spent a lot of time at guitar center since I am a serious musician and am searching for my ide set up. I've had to go in a **** ton to order parts and this equipment with the guys and I'm buddies with some of them but damn. Should I feel bad going to return the amp and cab? It's not what I'm looking for. But it's hard to get affordable AND good. The guitar is great and sounds awesome through my fender. Any advice about GC relations and also what steps you guys take when spending **** tons of money and also what you think I'd be happy with. Are there any affordable tube Orange heads over 15 watts. Any help is appreciated a lot.

2. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

If you don't like it return it and spend a **** ton on something else.

RRC

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Definitely take back the amp and cab and try some Oranges in the store.

4. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

This...return is and spend a **** tonne on something else...But bring your guitar next time to better have an idea how things will sound. Spend a **** tonne of time trying stuff so you get it right :)

5. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

My GC kinda blows. There is NO Orange stuff ever. A micro terror, an or15 that's been there for ever and right now a 4x12 Orange used. But I'm looking for a high watt amp with lots of gain for gigging and jamming

6. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

If your cab has 75 watt Celestions, that could be part of the problem. They tend to have a kinda scratchy top end, not much midrange and lots of bass...

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I agree, new speaker syndrome and just plain out, speakers that you don't like, can be the whole crux of the problem. Could be you take that same cab, fill it with a Tone Tubby h-bomb array and everything you don't like will vanish except for maybe some preamp tube fine tuning and having a tech verify that amps power section is running in proper bias ect.

Do you have access to a well broken in cab that you like the sound of that someone will let you try your head on?

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

**** tons = **** tones

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

Why did you start two threads on this? If you don't like it, return it.

I have a beef with folks that intentionally rent stuff from GC by buying it with the intention of returning it within 30 days, but if you thought you'd like it but don't, take it back. That's why they have the return policy.

10. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Agreed. Why would anyone spend a bunch of money on something they've never played before and expect anything other than a surprise?

Log off the internet, peel yourself off the couch, and get out there and try things out first hand! We (the internet) are not your friends! We're not going to give you good advice. We're going to pretend we're experts on everything and then tell you our opinions like they're facts, or troll you for fun. The internet is a great place for getting ideas, but don't make decisions based on it! You'll end up with a mail-order bride you can't stand, cheap boner pills that make you too sick to bone, and all your money in some Nigerian prince's bank account. And when you complain about it all on Facebook, we'll just repost it on Reddit so a million people you don't know can laugh at you. This is what the internet does to good people.

11. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

:spit

So true.....

12. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

F'n-a man, that should be a sticky...

13. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

This is sig worthy.

Anyways you referenced being a real musician and wanting an ideal setup, which in my mind would probably spend **** tons at other establishments - read small business where they really know the products

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

$1000 for a guitar, amp and a 4/12 cab is not a ton...it's peanuts by any measure.

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If you are a serious musician, what are you buying an entire guitar rig and wanting it to sound bassier?
    A serious guitarist knows not to walk in the bass player's range.

I agree with above, a simple Orange Terror and cab will sound great without drive pedals.