1 12" Cab Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drewboy, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I ran the search, just wanted to get some new opinions on a 1 12" cab. Just bought a new head, 50 Watt. Running clean with pedals for dirt. Mainly Strat player, doing rock and pop music. Size and weight really not an issue. The head is a boat anchor itself, lol. Thanks guys. Have a good day.

2. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I have an over-sized 112 from V Boutique. I think they call it their standard model. It's really big sounding. Not remotely box-y. It's about 3/4 closed back, so it's a little open to help fill the room but you still have your low end punch. Absolutely fantastic craftsmanship. They make a lot of cabinets for the big guys like Matchless, Rivera, Diezel US, etc. I'd get a hold of them and talk about what you want out of a cabinet. They were very helpful. I threw a WGS-65 in mine and it's awesome.

3. Lance

Lance Member

What kind of amp is it?

What kind of music do you play?

Different speakers pair well with certain amps, depending on what you're going for.

Like Dumble clones, and KTS 70, with oval back port, or JBL's.

4. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Petersen Cabs
    Friend of mine had ordered one, and we were A/B'ing against my cabs, I have many, with many speakers.

Arguably the best sounding one, and held it's own vs 2x12
    Best sound 1x12 buy a long shot.
    I Literally ordered the same one on the spot ... should be here Thursday :)

Petersen is on the forum, under "Tonefree"
    Below is one of his threads

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1536186

5. mix2much

mix2much Member

Bogner cube 1x12 cabs are pretty easy to find used and sound great.

6. thesauce

thesauce Member

Kw cabs. I have two with ASW speakers.

7. jay42

jay42 Member

1-12" cabinets are often just simple boxes and cosmetics are important. You would probably prefer a cabinet as wide or wider than your new head. If you're some kind of Larry Carlton fan, you'll want to look into Thiele-Small cabinets as designed for the EVM-12L (Mesa, Boogafunk). I think Boogafunk has one which is wider than normal. If you were going to crank that 50W head, then you'd need a 100W speaker at minimum. Since you're going to run it clean as a pedal platform, then a Celestion Gold might work out -- lots of speakers in the 65 to 75W area can work. There are lots of variables and you need to tell us more first.

8. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

Thanks guys. Bad Cat Cougar 50 is the amp. I have a LopoLine 2X12" and a Marshall 4X12". Rest of my amps are combos. Just looking for a great sounding 1 X 12 that will be wide enough for the head to sit on. I looked at Bad Cat, Friedman, Dr. Z. Just wanted some suggestions on what cab and speakers you guys are digging. Again, mainly strat running clean with pedals for dirt. Playing mostly rock and top 40 music in cover bands. Always mic'n the cab. Thanks again.

9. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

I dig my JDesign 1x12.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

fwiw, MF has one and is selling it for $429 today only.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...e=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CMKAqoXQssQCFcRffgodTbkAYg&k

No dimensions. Well since the OP has the amp, he figure out how wide a 1-12" has to be. I know a couple of people who are happy with Avatar cabs. They're simple and good enough. I think I like the Vintage look best.

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Stone Age
    Stage craft
    Jdesign
    All awesome

12. 71strat

71strat Member

I would get a Blown JBL E120.

Have it Hemp coned at A Brown Soun.
    The I would go to Mather Cabinets and have them make a Ported Boxed Tuned for the E120.

The Specs for the Cabinet can be found at jblenclosureguide.com

13. bbe_rev

bbe_rev Member

Bogner 1x12, dual ported Shiva cab. Really like that cab, and the CL 80, very flexible, and sounds great.

14. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Matching Bad Cat cab? I'm not one for aesthetics over tone, but I hear the Bad Cat cabs and speakers are awesome.

15. coolbean

coolbean Member

I agree with Braunzo. I also bought a 112 cabinet from V Boutique, the “D”-style with black Taurus covering (Matchless texture) and open back. Excellent craftsmanship, I’m running a 50 watt head through a Celestion G12-65 for clean tone. I highly recommend V Boutique. Terrific value.