1-12 vs. 2-10 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by greggorypeccary, Mar 2, 2008.

1. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I'm looking for a nice Cabinet to plug my Dr. Z Maz18NR head into. I currently have a crappy (ie old, not "real" wood) 1-12 (C. Rex) that sounds fine, but I'm looking for something nicer. I'll be using it in smallish clubs, mostly unmic'd.

Who here has used both 1-12 & 2-10 cabs and what differences did you hear and/or feel. Doesn't matter to me which you like better, I'm going for descriptions of the sound. I like to play pretty clean, with a little bite, and i use a Tele & TCM equally so I'm rolling both single coils & humbuckers.

Thanks for any input!

2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Don't dump the C.Rex! The C. Rex is a great speaker & especially good for a bright amp like a Maz Jr. Get a good, matching, empty cab for it at someplace like lopoline.com and you will be set. Then you can get a 2x10 at your leisure to compare.

3. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

No, BeauZooka, I'm not dumping the C-Rex! What I'm debating is whether to get something like a ported 1x12 like Port City or Freda, or go in a different direction and do 2x10.

Even if I go for a 2x10 I can keep the C. Rex where it is as another option or as an extra cabinet to plug my SF Princeton into.

4. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I have both 2 x 10 and 2 x 12 cabs (3 of each) that I use with a variety of amps - BF Tremolux, BF Bassman, BF Princeton, Marshall JCM900, Epi Valve Jr, etc.

The 2 x 12 cabs give more volume and stronger bass response - they keep up with a very loud drummer I play with better. 2 of them are ported - they breath with lows. The other is a repro small bassman size cab - sealed back w/ a baffle and loaded with fiberglass insulation. The lows are more punchy than the ported cabs but doesn't have the same roar.

The 2 x 10's are all sealed back with Jensen C10Q's (Fender Tremolux style cabs). They have a crisp top end and are very responsive at moderate volumes. If you really crank them, the 10's seem to bottom out and the lows start to suffer. Again, C10 Q's are lower wattage speakers and their responsveness at moderate volumes comes at the expense of handling higer power. Not much of an issue with the Princeton or Tremolux, but the Bassman can overpower them.

Any help?

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I personally like 1x12 cabs the best.... More lows and a fuller sound IMO. Plus the main selling point for 1x12's for me was the availability of 12 inch speakers and there are just so many to choose from.