• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

1-15" speaker cabinets, open or closed, what's your experienc...

TheGrooveking

I'm contemplating some new 1-15 speaker cabinets for some new in box EVM15L's I stumbled upon. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with 1-15 cabs and if so what type of rig did you use it with and pleae describe the sound. Also if it was open back, closed back, ported, etc...

Thanks,

TheGrooveking

Roobubba

very jealous that you "stumbled" upon those speakers.

I've just bought a 2 x 15" cab as an extension to my 4 x 12 (which I've now bought 2 x EVM 12Lblack labels + 2 x Celestion G12K100s for!), plus I'm going to put in a couple of 8" speakers to the 2 x15" cab to get it to 8 ohms overall.

No idea ab out 1 x 15 cabs, but I'll let you know how I get on with the 2 x 15 if you like :)

Roo

TheGrooveking

I lucked out on the EVM15L's, I went to a guy's house to check out a BagEnd 412 loaded with 4 EVM12L's and after buying the Bag End 412, the guy goes, "Hey would you be interested in some 15's?" I said let's see them. He brings out two boxes and opens them up and says " I bought these a few years back, but never bought a cabinet for them, you can have them both for $200 cash. That was the quickest I ever drove to a CashStation machine in my life!

TheGrooveking

eric-d

I've be considering an older BF 1x15 cab - but I have no idea what I'd use to run it!!! I like those punchy low ends coming though!!

-kk-

I used a weber 15" (cant remember the code, its the jensen copy) in an open back cab, and running a mesa blue angel through it. Love the voice of this combo, very 3D, very spanky. i think the 15" adds a bit more complexity/character to the tone (esp on top end), which is superb to start with.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Those are very clean and punchy speakers. I like open back 15s, but I suspect that the additional flexibility of a ported, closed back cab (more useful for bass or PA duty) would outweigh the more delicate sound to me. I'd go a pair of lightweight (as light as you can with a 30# speaker ;)) sealed cabs...

voided3

I agree with the sealed cabs since if you don't like how that sounds compared to the open backs with your speakers, you can just cut them up a bit to convert them. I have some old Kustom 2x15 T&R cabs form the late 60's that are front ported and sound great for guitar, too.

i loved my Jenkins Sound Shop. was 24"x24"x?", light & tight, half-removable back. JSS115 was the model number, IIRC

hey, here it is, looks like Doug's mod'd the dimensions...

anyway, recommended,

:cool:

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Avatar 1x12 open back cab rerouted for a JBL K130(15") speaker. I ended up taking the front grill off and having it replaced w/ metal speaker cover. The speaker ended up rattling against the original grill. Even though the cab is originaly for a 12" speaker I think it`s the perfect size for a 15' It`s a little deeper than most 12" cabs but not overly so. You should be able to find a used one somewhere like here or ebay cheap.

TheGrooveking

Thanks for the input guys, I ordered two Lopo 1-15" open back cabs before the last four posts came in. I thought about the results I was looking for and knew that a closed back/ported cab would provide a lot more punch, but factoring the EVM15L's have mega muscle in the punch department I decided on trying to use the cabinet to bring out more of the complexity/character/delicate tones that a 15" speaker can bring to the party.

I also thought what tone am I looking for and have to say that SRV's EV/SRO loaded Vibroverbs factored in, except these cabs are going to be driven via a stereo power amp, such as a Mesa Stereo Simul Class 296 or a VHT Classic.

I had a hard time finding 1-15 cabs versus 1-12's. I contacted Avatar and they said that it wasn't worth them keeping 1-15 cabs in stock, so they quit doing them. What I have read about Lopo were that they were well built, so I'll give them a try. They are running an year end 15% discount so I grabbed two of the Brown Western Tooled open back cabs with creme colored grills. I'll let you know how they sound.

http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/3698226/3745283.htm

TheGrooveking

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Platinum Supporting Member
i loved my Jenkins Sound Shop. was 24"x24"x?", light & tight, half-removable back. JSS115 was the model number, IIRC

hey, here it is, looks like Doug's mod'd the dimensions...

anyway, recommended,

:cool:
I have one of those, loaded with an EV SRO. +1 on the recommendation. And Doug is a good guy.

JDW3

Guys, what do you find is the main difference in tone for a 15", open compared to closed back? I have a 15" sealed cab I'm about to use, and was thinking about cutting a new board for the back, so it would be half open; ported etc...