1/2 Watt lovepedal volume?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Will the 1/2 watt lovepedal give you enough volume to play with a band? the sound is amazing. I'm wondering if I could just bring it to rehearsal instead of my amp, the studio has a bunch of different cabs sitting around.

Or is it too quiet for playing with a band?

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I don't own one yet, but my guess is that it's louder than some folks might expect, but probably not loud enough to jam with a rock drummer(?). Maybe if you have a large cab with efficient speakers and mic'ed it.

3. jpagey

jpagey Member

You'd have to mike the cab.

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

that's what I was thinking. could be okay that way though, yah?

5. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

Just a thought... the Zvex Nano amp is 1/2 a watt and can get as loud as a saxaphone when cranked through a 4x12. However, it is a tube amp running at high voltage. In my experience solid state amps have a percieved volume of almost half that of a tube with similar wattage. If that carries over to this it means that the amp would probably get as loud as someone talking loud (maybe yelling).

6. jpagey

jpagey Member

Oh yeah!

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Just wondering if anyone's spent any more time with their lovepedal 1/2 watt amps in band settings/rehearsals/gigging etc. Is it loud enough for any situations you've been able to use it for, outside of home bedroom levels? Small gigs? Quiet rehearsals? Not so quiet rehearsals?

8. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

With it cranked through a decent cab with a high efficiency speaker, you might be able to do it assuming you have a soft drummer and everyone else runs relatively quietly. I have confidence that I could use it at church unmic'd through my Avatar 2x12. But they play very quietly.

All the way up through my 2x12 (V30 and G12H30), I'd say that it is around the same volume as my Blues Jr with master set at 5 and volume set at 4. I have the volume on my BJ set at around that when playing at church.

However, if playing with a drummer, I'd really expect that you'd have to mic it. It'll be fine with a mic though as the volume will be coming from the PA, not the amp.

9. rewog

rewog Member

Fully cranked, the 1/2 watt Vintage is loud bedroom volume. (with a single speaker)
    I really don't think you could do any gigging with it. Maybe with multi, very efficient speakers.

10. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I've got one and there's just no way you'll be able to use it in a rehearsal, IMO. I play it through a 2x12 Avatar cab and can talk over it. It sounds great and it IS louder than you would think, but not so much so that you could truly rehearse a rock band or gig with.

Rick

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks guys. well I suppose the dream of a great amp you can carry in your pocket is a little too much to ask for. i think I'll still get one for home/sitting around use though, I love Sean's stuff...

12. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

For the price, you can't really beat it. It sounds great, makes a great little practice amp, and records nicely.

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

I just got a Songworks 1 x 12 closed cab and the 1/2 watt sounds monsterous thru it. at full volume/bias I think I could wake up my girls upstairs. Miked, this rig would sound amazing. The bass is great, there is plenty of sustain and rolling back my volume knob give nice fat, sweet tones. What a cool way to do a gig!

14. exodus

exodus Member

man, it's not quiet. some folk have mentioned "bedroom" volume.... well maybe in a house, but it is not apt. volume by far.

I put my 1/2 watt through a Germino 2x12 closed back cab, and the damned thing is LOUD for apt use, on min volume. With a drummer, i think it would be ok. With a boost pedal, it can get LOUD.