1/4 .8th switching live

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sbruce, Jun 1, 2015.

1. sbruce

sbruce Member

I'm looking for a delay that has tap and can switch between 1/4 and .8th with my foot. I know I could go to a bigger unit like Timeline, Dd20, etc with presets ...but I'm looking for something simpler. I just had a MLJR and foolishly sold it the day I got it (didn't even give it a chance). The only other option I've found is Supa Puss...but it has "analogue warble" when tapped, which I believe will be an issue for me.

2. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

uhhhh, well, if you have a dd5 or a dd7, you can get it modded by jhs to have a favorite switch?

3. thkh

thkh Member

4. sbruce

sbruce Member

Yeah. I have a feeling I'll end up with the MLJR. Stupidly sold it off at a huge loss :(

Any other ideas besides modding a DD? That will cost as much as a new MLJR.

5. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

not really :/

dd20 would be a lot cheaper, but also a lot bigger. so idk man, you're wanting something right in that market spot where there aren't a whole lot of options. The tc nova repeater is on sale right now at sweetwater, pretty small form factor. Or you could buy two used dd7's for less than a MLJR? But no, I mean, the MLJR is pretty much what you want.

6. jlane11

jlane11 Supporting Member

Strymon brigadier/el capistan with a favorite switch. Not an inexpensive option though.

7. sbruce

sbruce Member

Yeah, biggest mistake on my part. I honestly just posted it (MLJR) before even trying it and put the wrong price. It was gone within 2 minutes of posting. Even used 2 DD7's would cost more than the MLRJ used. I guess I should eat the cash and re-buy a MLJR.

I could just stick with the h9 I just got; but I was hoping for something easier to use live.

8. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

Take a look at the Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. It is a monster though.

9. sbruce

sbruce Member

Will do. But it is large :)

Sorry, but I just realized I actually posted the same question last week. Sorry mods...I need sleep :)

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just lean over and switch the mode 1 click on my DD-5.

11. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Any analog delay with a tap tempo is going to "warble" as you tap. To avoid this, you will certainly need to go digital.

12. sbruce

sbruce Member

This won't work in my situation (worship leading). I need to seamlessly switch between modes. I had a Timeline and was only using like 3 presets, so I sold it (seemed like overkill), but I'm finding my best bet is probably something with presets or MLJR (I know I can switch between 1/4 and .8th with one toggle switch hit, but I believe I would then have to scroll through the other modes to get back to 1/4s)

13. TheoDog

Nova Delay.
    I play P&W too, but I don't sing or act as front person.
    Timeline isn't overkill if it does what you need it to do.
    Cheers.

14. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

what about an M5?

15. sbruce

sbruce Member

REgarding the Nova...I thought you couldn't' switch presets without bending over? Don't you have to use the little button?

16. sbruce

sbruce Member

I've had several L6 products, even have an M9 available as a back-up at church, but I've honestly never liked it...might be all in my head :)

Looks like I should spring for a MLJR again, or just use my H9 and bring it from home and place it on my church board.

17. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

oh right, now you tell us you have an h9 o_O

but yeah, sounds like the MLJR is the deal for you. if you don't want to use your h9...which I would describe as crazy :)

18. Blakemore

Blakemore Member

You can program a simple toggle switch to switch between 1/4 and .1/8 on the H9. Seems like an easy, cost effective solution since you already own an H9

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  19. TheoDog

The Nova has a preset scroll feature. IIRC, it is press/hold, then click. It can be set up to scroll up to 9 presets. You can program it to just scroll as few as 2.
    Dan at T1M also offers a mod to have an external instant preset scroll foot switch.

The only downside I find in the Nova is it is always very pristine. The analog setting is musical, but not very analogish.

20. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

Honestly, just get a couple DD-5's and set them how you like them. That way, you can use them together if you'd like.

You can go Strymon, Eventide, TC, etc. with presets to pull this off, but those will all cost more than a couple good Boss single delays and a multi tap switch.