1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1/4" Female to Female Speaker Adaptor

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FenderAmpGas, Dec 14, 2004.

1. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Hello,

Any recommendations on a good quality 1/4" female to female speaker adapter? I'm trying to hook my amp to a Dr. Z Airbrake and the speaker cable from the amp is too short. Basically, I want to hook the speakers to the adaptor, to a longer speaker cable, and then to the Airbrake. Obviously, I'll be using another cable from the Airbrake to the amp.

I bought a cheapo HOSA adaptor but it doesn't appear to be of good quality and I'm worried about losing the connection and frying my amp.

Any suggestions and recommendations on where to buy online?

Thanks!

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

You're right to be worried - don't use that.

The only cable sockets I would trust for speaker connections are the locking Neutrik ones - I'm even suspicious of the Switchcrafts.

Here's a useful low-tech alternative though... this one's stereo, but you get the idea. Panel jacks are far more reliable than cable ones. If you just want it as an extension you could just use one jack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It sounds like you are trying to use the Airbrake with a combo amp and the 1/4 in speaker plug won't reach the attenuator? A female to female adaptor is OK for a quick test but I wouldn't depend on it. You are right to be concerned.

I think your best bet is simply replace the stock (short) speaker cable with one that is long enough to reach the attenuator. That way you can have a good solid connection all the time. When you don't need the Airbrake you can just bundle up the extra length.

4. KLB

KLB Member

I have used the Female-Female connector sold at Radio Shack for years with no problems. It grabs tightly.

I agree the suggested fix is more robust.

5. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

A general comment here. Folks, this is your tone.
    I see way too many people being penny wise and
    pound foolish.

Don't be cheap...

be frugal and buy quality.

7. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Totally agree! That's why I started this post.

Any suggestions on adaptors and where to buy as a temp solution to adding a longer speaker cable? I searched for the Neutrik locking ones but couldn't find the one and was confused by which one I needed. HELP!

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's WAY more important than that.

This sort of cheap connector has a nasty habit of making a poor contact - either between the connector and the plug that's in it, or more stealthily but just as bad, down inside where the bits of metal are rivetted together. If this happens when the amp is running at high power, you can probably wave your power tubes, sockets, and/or output transformer goodbye.

An intermittent fault in the output circuit is the single worst possible operating condition for a tube amp. Don't risk it. Reliability is more important than any other consideration (including tone) in speaker connections.

BTW, the locking socket you want is Neutrik #NJ3FC6. Go to www.neutrik.com, then 'products', then 'jacks', then 'locking 1/4" cable jacks'. Most good electronics retailers carry them.

9. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Thanks John!!!

10. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Yes, which was the point I was trying to make. : )

John, you have a nack at saying it better than I.
    If you buy good quality stuff, and it is installed correctly,
    it is more reliable, and your amp will love you too.

PS - you can't get good tone from a fried amp.

11. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

One more question. One side is the 1/4" locking jack. What's the other side? It doesn't appear to be a female to female adaptor. Do I have to remove the jack from the speaker wire and connect it to the adaptor. Sorry I'm a neophyte when it comes to electronics. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Ah... yes. That is literally just a jack. The 'other side' is where the cable goes. You would need to connect a length of speaker cable there, and a normal 1/4" plug at the other end. That makes a 'speaker extension cable'.

This requires soldering... maybe not the best idea if you haven't done it before, since it needs to be done well in order to keep the reliability good.

I thought they did make a female-to-female adapator too, but it's not listed on the site now...

13. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Darn. The search continues.

14. doctorx

doctorx Member

15. redjet55

redjet55 Member

the hosa’s suck, had 2 develop intermitant connections. That’s the last time I buy that ****...

I got a planetwaves that has been OK.

Guess I’ll be looking to build a neutrik cable soon

16. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

+1 for PlanetWaves.

Horizon makes one, too, that is a tight fit and has caused me no problems in the year that I've had it.

17. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

18. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member