1/4 inch female/female adapter: Ok to connect two speaker cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by centsmin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. centsmin

centsmin Member

I want to use an attenuator with a combo amp. A 1/4 inch phone plug connects the speakers to the amp at one end with the other end soldered to the speakers.

The cable isn't long enough to reach my attenuator. Can I patch two speaker cables together using 1/4 inch female/female adapter?

Thanks,

-chad

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I'd be iffy about it since the amp is obviously such a high watt amp that you need an attenuator. I use one to connect my Valve Jr. to a gutted 2x12 Marshall combo, but that's only 5 watts. I wouldn't trust one to hold a load on my 100 watter. If I were you I'd unsolder the wire from the speakers and throw a longer, decent gauge wire on there to carry the signal just to be on the safe side.

3. n.j.

n.j. Member

I made a 6' speaker cable with a male 1/4" on one end and a female 1/4" on the other, I use it for checking out speakers in combos, etc. It works fine.

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've done that (female to female adapter) and had no problems at all. No degradation.

5. Adwex

Adwex Member

I'm quite surprised to hear that the adapter caused tonal problems. I also had a combo way back when, but I bought a head amp, and used the speaker in the combo. I used a female-female coupler without any noticeable difference. A speaker level signal is quite forgiving, as long as the conductor is large enough.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Your speaker wire is probably 14ga wire. The wiring inside of that adapter is probably much smaller, so you could notice a drop in tone coming across those skinny wires. I'd be most worried about those wires cooking and subsequently cooking your output transformer.

7. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Yep...well I've got a few of these...all from Radio Shack. One is gold colored metal and was more expensive...seems that one sounds Ok, but the other ones made of plastic did affect the tone.

And you are right about the speaker wire...it needs to be pretty beefy to not affect tone whether using an adaptor or not. I think most of my cables are 16 ga.

8. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Exactly. I have a cheap-o Radio Shack one connecting my Valve Jr. to the cabinet like I said, but it's 5 watts so I doubt it's gonna cook anything. With my stack I use the speaker cables that came with the cabinets, so I have no idea what gauge wire is in there, but they seem to work fine.

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I had issues as well with a metal female to female adapter. Don't remember the brand, but I bought it off MF. Tone became thin and fizzy. Adapter went right in the trash and I bought a longer George L's Speaker cable. Stripped one end and soldered it to the speaker. Problem solved!:phones

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I've used an adapter successfully with my Super Reverb for several years.

11. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I've never tried one on any of my amps, but I did try one of the gold RS ones in a pinch on one of my PA speakers. It crackled and popped until it fried.

Fortunately, the amp had enough load on it with the other speakers, so no damage.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I've tried inline female 1/4" jacks and I always felt the tension on the contacts was way too loose. Wiggling gave me circuit breaks which is BAD on a speaker cable. I bought a $3.00 4" octagonal electrical box with a cover plate and drilled two holes in the cover and mounted two quality 1/4" female chassis jacks in the plate and connected them with 12 ga wire and assembled it to the box. No I have a female/female solution that will last for 30 years.

13. heisthl

heisthl Member

Switchcraft make one but it's hard to find, I think it is model 34A - they are expensive >$20 but it's a very heavy duty all metal barrel type female to female and up to the task for even 100 watt amps.

14. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Now thats a solution :AOK

15. DavidE

DavidE Member

Monster makes one that's pretty heavy duty.

16. heisthl

heisthl Member

Switchcraft PN is 361A Mouser PN 502-361A

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1, I have as well.

18. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I made one also. Works great with no sound degredation.