1/8" hard maple dowels?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Riscchip, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I'd like to find some 1/8" diamter maple dowels for doing some neck repairs. Maybe my google skills are failing me today, but I'm having a heck of a hard time locating these online. Anyone know a good source that will take small orders?

While I'm at it, do you know anywhere that has small diamter dowels in other guitarish woods like mahogany?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

try woodcraft, or hardware and hobby stores in your area (some things are actually easier to get in meatspace instead of online).

3. Riscchip

Thanks mate, I'll check that site out.

4. RandK

RandK Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten 1/8" maple dowel rod at ACE Hardware in 36" lengths but that may not match grain/color to whatever you are doing. A local hardwood lumber store would be better than paying shipping. Mahogany is pretty soft for 1/8" but I've seen 1/4" at Rockler and Woodcraft stores but again color can be an issue.

5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

6. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Good news: OSH carries 'em as many hardware stores
    Bad news: rarely exactly 1/8", usually a bit under.

7. Riscchip

Thanks guys.

I may looking into making some myself, too. That's a good idea that I hadn't really considered. That way I could get the grain going the right way, too.

Thanks!

8. paul p

paul p Supporting Member

9. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

A good way of making wooden dowels is to have a piece of heavy duty steel plate. Drill a hole the diameter you want your dowel and place the steel tightly in a good vice or clamp it over a hole in your workbench. Cut a piece of wood of the dowel material slightly bigger than the hole in the steel and then using a mallet, hammer the wood through the hole. Try and keep the lengths of wood around 12-14 inches as the longer it is the harder it is to keep straight and unbroken. I have a piece of quarter inch thick steel plate about 4 inches square with a full set of imperial and metric sizes from 1/16th" - 1/2" and 1mm - 15mm. Some of them I have never used it was just a fun and practical tool to make one day I was bored.

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I did the nearly the same. I left the burr on the bottom side after drilling the holes and inserted the dowel into the burr end. Chuck the dowel into a cordless drill and cut it down.