1 guitar,1 chord,1 amp=BORING!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Standard 64, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Anybody out their like me that loves to mess around with effects alot(multiprocessors)like my digitech rp150 which has 50+50 presets which I play a preset for a while then go to the next preset,play it for a while and so on,the acoustic simulator on this is pretty cool.You can turn on the drum machine that it has,find a blues preset and jam on.Then select another preset that has saturated distortion with delay and maybe a touch of chorus and or phaser and practice your chops.Before you know it 2 or 3 hours has passed by.Its like a amusement park with lots of rides!!!

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Absolutely, although I admit when I'm doing it I'm out to "have fun with sounds" and not out to actually make or play a song.

3. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

It's fun sometimes to just concentrate on the music and your playing by plugging straight into a great amp with your favorite guitar.

However, for the type of music I like to play - most of the time I'm being experimental and using effects - mostly analog however...

Changes daily, but right now I'm running Gtr->Mayo->WH1->G2->Eternity->Timmy->TR2->Vol->Memory Man->amp

Recording and playing with plugins for various sounds is a different story - alot like playing with your multiprocessors I suppose.

4. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I find I can mess with my memory lane for a good hour or two.

5. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Good points here. I try to just keep a balance between effect noodling and playing. That's a big reason I have so much respect for Gilmour. Great emotional playing no doubt, but also a master at using effects and experimenting in the studio.

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

As someone who has been playing for 45+ years, I would recommend plugging straight in to an amp, and hearing yourself play, minus all the effects and distractions.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Experimenting can be fun but it's tough making all the experimentation fit in an actual song.

8. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Unless you write a song around the tones that you make. I will sometimes do that. It's crazy what can pop into your head when you play a riff or cool chord progression and throw on some effects. It can make the song take on a whole new feel.

9. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

To me, effects are toys and I basically treat them as such. I've never been able to appreciate processed, effected live tone. Sounds like crap. I've never heard an effects processor of any sort sound good in a live situation. In the studio for certain minute things they are O.K., live, yuck. Even in the studio only very high end processors sound good. Roland and Digitech and Boss stuff is crap. A tube amp, a good guitar and maybe an overdrive pedal are all a seasoned player needs in my opinion.

10. blues

blues Supporting Member

My favorite way to play also. If I use a pedal its on all the time. Never boring for me. I like to ride the volume on my guitar too. If Im feeling that my playing is boring, I try to learn something new like open tunings, slide, and different chord substitutions ect, and then apply it to doing something new. That my 2 cents :banana :stir

11. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

But how is that different from learning to effectively use a pedal?

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I thought about this some more. I came from the acoustic side of things, so if you want to talk direct, nothing gets more direct than fingers to guitar to...well, that's it. And the things some folks can do with just that is plain amazing. So I still don't get bored when I flavor things up with a chain like guitar-amp and that's it.

That said, the pedals I do have are, in my mind, pure noisemakers. Fuzz Factory, Frankenwhipple Wah, modded DS-1, DMM and so forth. I break those out just to have some "think out of the box" moments once in a while. But for the most part I still write everything on the acoustic since it's the most direct, perform on the acoustic or electric if a certain flavor is needed, and on the rare occassion use an effect for a subtle background thing like reverb or tremolo, or one jarring spiky thing like fuzz/distortion/modulation.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I like boring! Guitar, cord, amp is just fine.

I used to have a chorus pedal. I took it out of the closet about every 12-18 months and marveled at how cool it sounded. That would last maybe 20 minutes and back in the closet it went.

15 years ago I had an Alesis effects unit and a pedal for it. Ridiculous! The thing had 128 presets. I felt like I was tap dancing on buttons, not playing guitar. For a while I found one effect I liked and left it there. I finally sold it.

I do have a Keeley BD-2 that sounds real nice when I feel like stepping on something. There are a few other OD's in the closet but I can't tell you what they all are.

14. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Sounds like you're having fun with it - cool. Me, I can't handle multi-FX processors because of the cruddy sound (IMNSHO). I have a nice bunch of pedals, all by different manufacturers. And yet sometimes it's just guitar -> amp.

15. blues

blues Supporting Member

Good question, I think its different by learning new things can make you a better guitar player. My thoughts were more aimed at the boring part of the thread,or keeping from getting bored.

16. Ogre

Ogre Member

If you are bored, you are not really paying attention. There is so much to learn, and so little time.

17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Nah. I can spend hours just messing with my amps. Even then I realize that I could have spent some of that time actually practicing.

18. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I spend most of the time playing by myself at low volume and I'm not that great a player. So there's great boredom potential there. I used various PRSs for years and kept looking for "something". I switched to Chapin & Koll and am amazed at the great sounds & liveliness & variety. If you have a great guitar going into a great tube amp, it's not boring at all. I've got the GSP2101 (13 yrs old & still works) and now I have some great boutique pedals. I turn them on every once in awhile but spend most of the time clean. But, then, I'm not aiming for Edge territory.

19. biggreen

biggreen Member

Nah, playing is never boring. I actually have the newest Pod Multieffects unit and it has tons of presets and effects, but I use 1 patch that I set up 99% of the time. It is a sweet clean tube like tone and I use it for pretty much all of my playing, and that includes when I do various covers at my local open mic. I like the simplicity of not having to worry about anything other than my playing and it sound good so if it ain't broke. I guess I treat my electrics like an acoustic in that sense, 1 good tone is all you need.

20. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Well if you're playing one "chord" then "yes", that would be a little boring. :)

Actually I would like to retract that - Bo Diddley is awesome.

Jim