1 pedal too many...bigger board or current one plus a small one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, May 6, 2016.

1. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

So I just ordered a big sky and i am SUPER excited for it. the (first world) problem is that my pt2 is WAY full right now and i either need to get a big board or go with my current pt2 for my drives and filters, and get a pt jr for my big sky, timefactor, chorus and ep booster.

what would you do? bigger board...or add another small one....

MattLeFevers likes this.
  2. chronoman

chronoman Member

Personally, I would rearrange my current board and maybe kick something off. But that's just me.

johnh and hippieboy like this.
  3. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

i would have to kicked too many things off to make enough room....otherwise i would

4. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

what's your current setup? I've always had a 1 on 1 off rule in the past, but it's hard to say without knowing what you're already using

hippieboy likes this.
  5. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Member

Replace the Timefactor with a Tonal Recall or a Nemesis. Now you have enough room :)

NHBluesMan likes this.
  6. charliemccarter

charliemccarter Supporting Member

i don't play out often anymore but i moved to a PTPro so i could leave every pedal i own set up & ready to go - helps me do two things:

1. plug in & play without wasting time moving things on/off the board or wiring up pedals on a whim - full-time job, husband, & dad means i might only have 30 mins to play sometimes
    2. makes sure my pedal order/tone/etc. are static & i know how to adjust dials easily with different guitars/amps

it's a bit of a laziness issue for me & makes for some raised eyebrows when i show up with a loaded PTPro but i know exactly what i'm getting when i plug in & have everything i want right there & ready to go

7. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Man, is that the truth. I haven't played guitar once since my baby was born except when I am physically at a gig.

Does a fully loaded PT Pro weigh as much as a small to medium sized elephant? I'm using a PT-2 (packed to the seams) and it feels like it weighs fifty pounds. I daydream sometimes about moving up to a mega board and putting on all the cool pedals I don't have room for now, but then I think about the cuts and bruises my shoulder gets just hauling this one and I talk myself out of it fast.

As for OP, I guess my answer would be a small second board. Particularly if you are like me and have spent years arranging and wiring the board just so and wouldn't want to have to start from scratch. Though be careful about making the second board too small: you may run into this same situation a year from now and be asking if you should get a third one, ha.

8. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

definitely the way to go for me as well!

9. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

How about moving the first or last pedal off the board and on the floor to the left or right of the board?

jtbleeker likes this.
  10. charliemccarter

charliemccarter Supporting Member

lol - sure does - but i also carry a Fender Twin in first so it feels a little lighter than that at load in/out - so infrequent for me that it doesn't bother me - if i were gigging weekly, i might take another route - btw, it looks like this (for now)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Matty78 and MattLeFevers like this.
  11. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

or put anything that's an always-on pedal underneath.

12. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I did this with my wah. Turns out I like it a lot better down there

13. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

here is my current board...the only thing i see that MIGHT be a possiblilty is taking off the DP fuzz (never really use it much), removing the HOF, and moving the EP to the altoids spot and moving things down since the DP will be gone. this might open enough space for the Big Sky

[​IMG]

charliemccarter likes this.
  14. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

There's still tons of space on that board! You haven't even turned any of the small pedals sideways yet. And all that space between your KoT/JHS and the row above is totally under utilised so far. Tons I tell you!!!

charliemccarter likes this.
  15. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

Hahah any closer to each other and I'll have to wear heels to hit the switches

jtbleeker, charliemccarter and johnh like this.
  16. witafro2

witafro2 Member

If the comp is always on think about sticking it under the board...

TheRealDeal likes this.
  17. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

I had this same problem... At first I had a home-made board a bit smaller than a pedaltrain Pro. Got rid of that, and started using PT-Pro and PT-2. Ran out of space AGAIN, and I now use two Pedaltrain Pro boards at the same time (similar to John Mayer and Zane Carney on JM's last tour). It's a pain in the ass to carry them both anywhere, but I can't really imagine getting rid of anything on either board.

TLDR - get a PT-Pro

TheRealDeal likes this.
  18. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'm looking to size up from a PT1. Probably will get a Novo 24. I have a Classic Jr as my grab and go board, and used to have a PT Pro. The PT Pro is a beast and a PITA to transport.

19. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

So I was able to get the hof off and took off the dp fuzz. I shifted everything down and I THINK it will fit. Just waiting for it to come in the mail.
    Was hoping to give myself some room for an aux or midi switch but I figure I will get used to the pedal first and then go for either of those

Saves me about $250-$350 without going bigger or with another board.

20. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Rearrange (there is a lot of unused space on that board - try turning pedals sideways) or kick other pedals off.