# 1 Rock Act of the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fuzzface71, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

1. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I saw a video of the Eagles live at the Capital Center on the Hotel California tour. I'm not much of an Eagles fan but the could friggin play.

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

There can be only one answer....Zep. :)

Badtone likes this.
  3. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Kiss ruled arenas and were cash printing machines. Stadium shows weren't a big thing in the 70s other than festivals.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

5. MTN

MTN Supporting Member

I say The Who.

Tours in ‘69-70, ‘71-‘72, ‘73, ‘74 (brief), ‘75-‘76, ‘79-end of decade.

Plus, at this point (Post-Tommy), they became an AOR band in terms of live performances.

Many will say Zep or Floyd. Whatever. All of this is subjective, so I say The ‘Oo.

HesNot, DV52, Grun and 1 other person like this.
  6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t know, man. This was the big tour, right?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_II_Tour
    Some rather middle of the road venues for someone in “biggest act of the decade” conversation.

7. muzishun

muzishun Member

The 70's were a very long decade!:D

Elton
    Queen
    Zep
    Eagles
    Floyd

I have no idea

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

Early 70's to mid - Led Zeppelin. Saw them once - wasn't that impressed with them. Jimmy Page was very sloppy.
    But, then I saw The Who around 1974 - no contest! Much better concert.

Wino67 likes this.
  9. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Three shows in New York, two in Philly, two in D.C. and two in Detroit are nothing to sneeze at. I'm pretty sure they sold out most. I know they did the two D.C. shows. Not too mention the tons of merch they sold. They were a pretty big deal and made a lot of money. The middle of the road venues were filled with rabid fans spending money on merch.

10. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

sahhas likes this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Somebody made a lot of money. I’m not sure they had their business chops at that time. Still, to this day they never owned their masters or their publishing. For a band that’s always touted their success, it’s bonkers to me that they don’t even own their own music.

Hype machine, smoke and mirrors.

Srdjr likes this.
  12. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Stones played theaters and arenas in the 70s. In DC, the played the Warner Theater and the Capital Center. The Stones really didn't do stadium tours until the late 80or 90s.

13. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

That's overall. Rumours sold multiple millions in the first few years after it's release. Was best seller of all time until Thriller topped it in 83.

14. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Yeah...I saw them in the In Rock,Fireball era with maybe a light dusting of Machine Head??? Incredible concert, tickets were about five bucks.

15. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Journey didn't break until Infinity in 78. The previous albums were flops and the record company demanded they add a new singer.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Stones Floyd Zep..add Queen if you are Euro.
    But they all lose if Elton is granted 'Rock' status.

muzishun likes this.
  17. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

No question when you have the answer
    He toured a ton (500) and released 12 albums

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    muzishun likes this.
  18. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Supporting Member

well... you forgot about DSOTM and Eagles Greatest Hits #1. Check the stats.

19. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Supporting Member

Well,... I hate to be a “party guy,” but can I see a show of hands? How many of you WHO STARTED PLAYING THE GUITAR IN ‘75 or later were heavily influenced by some aspect of Page?

I loved and still enjoy almost all of the bands mentioned. I’ve seen KISS 3 - 4 times. I still LOVE the first 6 studio albums and Alive! (Alive II was only okay to me).

But I still remember sitting with a gal in my folks living room watching TSRTS on the “big screen” (had to be a 32” council RCA - state of the art).

I watched Plant pour his soul out on stage, brilliant intensity. Then JPJ quietly laying the groove, being the rock and still showering an aura with his keys that was the pudding holding it all in “state.” Then Bonham, the musical embodiment of the Neanderthal gene. Hands, stick, larger than life tone, just non stop.

But it was Page. The living embodiment of cool and the “missing link” between hippie and folk and the birthing of a harder, bolder, less constricted amalgamation of influences. Acoustic, electric, alt tunings, bows? I mean bows! Really? Right down to the Wizard suit. It was after watching his solos in Since I’ve Been Loving You, No Quarter, and others that drove me to the point where I said to myself “I have to do THAT!”

and 35 years later... I still love and appreciate him. And I’m still playing BECAUSE of him.

I wish he would release an album in an updated vein of III. He had so much going on with his acoustic textures, but after Plant bailed, he has tried and never been able to recapture the lightning in a bottle they were. As great as Coverdale and Rogers were (and I like the first Firm album), he never could get it back.

but I my minds eye, the 1970’s?

There is no answer but Led Zeppelin.

noisebloom, mlongano, Srdjr and 2 others like this.
  20. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were influential in that there are a ton of spinoff bands that came from them (Dio, Rainbow, Ozzy Osbourne solo, Whitesnake etc.) but I think Zeppelin did far greater in ticket sales. I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned Peter Frampton yet. But he was one of the biggest acts of the 70s. Also, I would put Boston at the top of the list. They had the #1 debut album of all time up until that point. I would also put Journey as one of the top bands of the latter half of the 70s. Until Steve Perry joined them they did not sell a very large quantity of albums. They are basically Santana’s backing band gone solo up until 1976 when Steve Perry took them to super stardom.