# 1 Rock Act of the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by FF71, Mar 26, 2020.

1. MrX

MrX Member

Hammer of the Gods !!!

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Interesting thing. " Biggest act FROM the seventies" vs. "biggest act IN the seventies".

Since Zep is a 60's band they are in the same boat as the Beatles and Stones :D

I'll go with KISS as the biggest act FROM the seventies IN the seventies. Honorable mention to the Eagles?

3. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Zeppelin totally owned that decade even if they had stopped after IV.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  4. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

I came here to say Led Zeppelin.

5. bertramladner

Ted?

eddie knuckles likes this.
  6. bertramladner

Led Zeppelin IV sold 23m

sahhas likes this.
  7. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure it was Helen Reddy.

eddie knuckles likes this.
  8. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Silver Supporting Member

Grand Funk Railroad,
    Jethro Tull,

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  9. datguytim

datguytim Member

3 were the tops:

Led Zeppelin
    KISS
    Aerosmith

...especially later in the '70s...I was 10 & they all shaped my style.

10. ricardow49

ricardow49 Member

Measured by smiles brought to faces ... The Dead

natebernstein and eddie knuckles like this.
  11. WildRanger

WildRanger Member

There is no band that better defines the 'urban' American rock of the 70s than Aerosmith.
    KISS ain't in the same league with them.

12. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was an opinion post there's real numbers to say who sold the most. I don't really care but if I had to guess I would say the eagles, Fleetwood Mac, zep & p floyd I think would probably be on there & maybe the wings. I probably got zero of the top 10!

Any idea why their name put you off? Thin Lizzy means nothing it was taken from a robot in an irish comic book Tin Lizzy. I've been obsessed with them since I was a little kid. Same with zeppelin & queen - 45 years later I listened to Renegade & Innuendo today even though Pearl Jam & In This Moment put out new records today. I was able to get both of those a week or so ago so I've been listening already.

Thin Lizzy did not have the luck of the Irish! They opened for a lot of Queens US tour in 75' & part of ZZ Top's tour when they had the stage in the shape of Texas with animals & everything. They had everything lined up for a big tour here & Brian Robertson got in a bar fight I think literally the night before they were leaving. He had his hand sliced open with a bottle. They loved being rockstars, they partied hard (legendary hard) but in the early 80's when the nasty black tar heroine emerged they were all addicts. Even though it was downhill from there they still made 3 great records. There other shot was with Gary Moore but Black Rose has great songs but it's a bad thin sounding record to most people. I dig that record but it is a badly recorded album. Then Snowy White came in for Chinatown & Renegade but they were a train wreck by then. The last album with Sykes is great! That's it I have no idea how he made it to 36 & the last 5 years a heroine addict & massive alcoholic for 14 years. Gary Moore also literally drank himself to death while he was on vacation with his wife or girlfriend.

Tragic tail that I've thought a lot about but then you get into the conversation of would these guys have made the music they did without the drugs & alcohol - everyone can have their own opinion on that one.

13. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

They never had any real success here almost no one knows who or what they were. When you look at their body of work in the 70's it's staggering! So is zeppelins & queens. They were all junkies & alcoholics but Thin Lizzy couldn't function like zep & queen did they were a mess. Zep & Queen had the same 4 guys but Lizzy was sort of dysfunctional. Once they got Eric Bell out (great guitar player but that band would have gone nowhere) they did have Gorham, Downey & Phil on every record. There big shot was with Brian Robertson but he was self destructive in a really bad way. They were a great band & U2, Metallica, Maiden & a million other bands have all said that they were their hero's. They left a large permanent footprint on Rock n' Roll & even just music in general.

Stomp and Hot In The Shade like this.
  14. Timtam

Timtam Member

Most important ? The Sex Pistols. They sounded the death knell for all that came before, for the millions of us who recognized it. And they heralded a subsequent period when music was exciting again, where the old rules no longer applied. But millions obviously missed that message (as most of the suggestions here so far indicates). ;)

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I recall for a time in 1978, there was no bigger than Cheap Trick.

16. WildRanger

WildRanger Member

It seems they (and punk in general) were just not that important in America.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  17. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

600,000 people at that one show.

[​IMG]

natebernstein likes this.
  18. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

I'm thinking some of you guys are younger and are guessing?

Sure there were a bunch of GREAT bands in the 70's, many big big acts, but, LZ was THE hard rock group of the seventies, and by a big margin. It's not really debatable. They were NOT a 60's band.

Kiss does not really count. ( My favorite band when I was 13) They were huge in the 70's, but not in a respected LZ kinda of way. They were big in a media, Halloween costume marketing kinda way. Even back then they were seen as sort of cartoonish. For us preteens in the early 70's, they were the hard rock gateway drug to LZ, and AC/DC, and Floyd.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  19. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

US 10 for a huge gig, incl parking

wow

Teleplayer likes this.
  20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw ZZ Top's tour in support of Fandango. The Atlanta Rhythm Section opened. A friend sold me fourth row seats for $4.

ProfRhino likes this.