# 1 Rock Act of the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by FF71, Mar 26, 2020.

1. wombat66

wombat66 Member

The New Barbarians with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood opened for Led Zeppelin at Knebworth 1979

2. RJLII

RJLII Member

And one night at the Pontiac Silverdome north of Detroit. It was a killer show.

3. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Another vote for Led Zeppelin.

4. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

a bit difficult to quantify - many of those acts were not around for all of the 70s ...
    Allmans (well, with "issues"), Skynyrd, many other big ones, like the westcoast scene, southern rock, or the younger acts like Kansas or Styx
    and then, the world is bigger than the US, there have been several fundamental changes in audience taste, again not the same worldwide ...
    I would vote Stones for #1, Floyd #2, then it gets difficult.
    Purple or Sabbath, Genesis, Tull or Bad Co, ZZ Top, Gallagher or Winter, Wishbone Ash, Yes, Heep, Gentle Giant or AC/DC are also underrepresented here, and Clapton has only been mentioned once ...

that's only a small selection of bands that were big in my neighborhood, and it's far from being identical with the list of my own most influential artists, many of which were way more obscure.
    the 70s were the most colourful and varied era in rock for sure.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

TVvoodoo likes this.
  5. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

Led Zeppelin sold 5th most albums of all time

6. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

7. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

The mighty Zep for sure!!!

8. Timtam

Timtam Member

Yes, I think that is very true. Here down under we got/get an odd mix of UK/US influences. And so we could see the difference in what was going on in the US vs UK/Europe vs homegrown.

But even if the Sex Pistols/punk does not resonate with those in the US who were around in that period, much of the the new music of the following two decades was linked to the changes that punk started. With the exception of metal and its genres (which were also quite regional, eg hair metal out of LA), and hip hop (also US-centric), the origins of which were both earlier. The spread of that new music played by musicians who in many cases got into the business because of punk/post punk/new wave was greatly increased by MTV. But cultural differences definitely remained - we were bemused that Men At Work were seen as a "new wave" band in the US.

So I think one can still make a strong case for the Sex Pistols/punk being the most important musical phenomenon of the 1970s, because of what they led to. But I can understand that those who loved/love the classic rock that preceded it (and was less relevant in the following decades because of it) are unlikely to concede that, true or otherwise. Especially given the strong US/classic rock demographic here. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  9. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

1. Bruce
    2. Sex Pistols
    3. Post-Punk Bands
    4. LZ
    5. VH
    6. PF

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Even if this were true, they arrived too late to the party, with too little influence, to be the #1 ROCK act of the '70's.

As the coverboys of a new trend they do have their place.;)

11. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Member

Haven't read all 9,000 posts in this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said.

That the Eagles were huge is not debatable. BUT, a good bit of their mega-stardom came either late in the 70s or even into the 80s. Don Henley made some really interesting comments in an interview in which he observed that while the band broke up after The Long Run (1979), their albums continued to sell and their legend continued to grow throughout the 80s due in large part to the emergence of Classic Rock radio stations. Even a song as massive as Hotel California was arguably bigger in the 1980s than it was in the 1970s. Not in terms of units shipped, of course, but in terms of airplay and overall cultural influence. It got into the rotation of that kind of station all over the country, and, like a bunch of other 1970s songs, remained (or became) a staple of pop culture long after the acts had broken up or otherwise faded away. So while they are certainly a 70s band, they were an 80s influence to almost the same extent.

Granted, that can be said about lots of big 70s bands who got massive second/third/fourth winds out of classic rock radio. Not sure what the cutoff for that is, but even late 70s/early 80s bands didn't get that same kind of rebirth since they were "new" during the classic rock radio era and were treated differently than the bands who had come along even just a few years earlier (Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Queen, etc.). I think, for example, about a group like Van Halen, who was in that same stratosphere of popularity and influence at their peak, but who did not get a second wind by the equivalent of classic rock radio. They did catch the MTV wave, but I would argue that that did more to extend their initial run than to reinvigorate their stature after they eventually declined. By the time they declined -- really, post 1992 -- the music world changed. Grunge and then rap took over music itself, and later changes in technology (iTunes, YouTube, Spotify) did not have the same capacity to sustain an old act with new audiences as classic rock did for the 70s bands.

Rambling a bit as I think here, but the bottom line to me is that the answer to the question of who was the dominant act of the 70s is shaped in part by what happened in the 80s. A simple search would tell us who sold the most records during the actual decade of the 70s, but if even Don Henley acknowledges the extension of the Eagles' shelf life by classic rock radio, I think it has to be accounted for.

ProfRhino likes this.
  12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

OF the '70a vs IN the '70s may yield differing POV's, but are somewhat different questions.

ProfRhino likes this.
  13. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

The term World's Greatest Rock Band is massively connected to ONE group. They earned that rank in the 70's. Not in the 60's, nor the 80's ,90's or 2000's.

I don't even have to mention the name, you know who they are.

natebernstein likes this.
  14. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Oh I dunno, I'll just say Wizzard

15. mj6thbuif

mj6thbuif Member

For me, these are the top 4... Eagles, Sabbath, ACDC, Priest

16. Benniator

Benniator Member

The Silver Platters, and it’s not even close.

17. Percy

Percy Member

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were my two favs from the 1970's
    Here is a Rock band that sounds like they came out of the 70's