# 1 Rock Act of the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fuzzface71, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

1. PeterG

PeterG Member

2. DRS

DRS Member

The above list is for album sales. Grease shouldn't count as it is a movie soundtrack, not a rock group. If you combined tour attendance then these rankings would change. Simon & Garfunkel broke up in 1970 so no tour for them. Bee Gees, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac grew huge in the second half of the 70s. That leaves Floyd and Zep. I would say Zeppelin as they toured consistently through most of the 70s.

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Among teens Kiss was indeed huge-

I can remember the fervor for Love Gun, and then there was lot of pent up
    waiting for something new.

We had this little dept store in our town that sold albums, and one day a kid
    tells us that the new Kiss album is called "Rock And Roll Over", and he just
    bought a copy.

I was just a young kid, but I had my doubts, and I checked Circus magazine
    and it said the new album wasnt out for a while, and it was so far away they
    were not even telling the album title yet.

But I went to the store and got the album, and what had happened was there
    was a box of albums marked "Do Not Open Until Nov", but the store was so
    unorganized they had just went ahead and opened the box. Turns out the kid
    was telling the truth after all.

So a bunch of us got a copy around Oct., which I am sure Casablanca would not
    have been happy about had they known.

Noah likes this.
  4. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Zep, no question.

My personal favorite, though, was Frampton-era Humble Pie. Best rock show in the business for a couple of years there.

BTO, Badtone and BadgerDave like this.
  5. dual lead

dual lead Member

I would have to say Zeppelin or Kiss. #1 Rock Act to me means #1 Rock and Roll show and these 2 top the list I think. I'm biased towards Kiss and don't think there's a better rock show that I've ever seen and I've seen around 50 concerts or so. Nugent was my first concert in the early 70's and Hagar actually opened up and put on a better show and I'm a huge Nugent fan. In 1977 my Uncle tried to get tickets to Led Zeppelin in Seattle but they sold out in a day or something like that, I actually think it was 2 hours or 2 days, don't remember for sure, but the ticket system was much different and 2 days was extremely fast! So instead he got Kiss tickets a few weeks later and took me to the Love Gun tour. Cheap Trick opened up and they were really good, but Kiss blew me away and changed my views on life lol. It was just amazing and people were dressed up like them all over the place, Vans painted with their Kiss logo. I would probably have to agree with the majority and say Led Zeppelin, but my personal favorite Kiss has to be way up there to from 1975-79 . I was bummed we didn't get to see Zep though. Led Zeppelin II was my favorite album until I got Kiss Alive and became a Kiss freak and nothing else was as cool as Kiss from that day on. People like me that are truly part of the Kiss Army are hard to be convinced that any band is better than Kiss. :)

dirtyguitar and roachone like this.
  6. The Captain

The Captain Member

Well established and known fact. Sold more albums than anyone else in the 70s than anyone.
    I didnt even have to look it up. It might have even been a Trivial Pursuit question.

7. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

[​IMG]

8. twotone

twotone Member

For me it was Bachman-Turner Overdrive. If it wasn't for that band, I don't I would have taken up the electric guitar.

I didn't discover Led Zeppelin until around 1977 or 1978 (my oldest brother played the second album for me and I was impressed, of course). But by then rock 'n' roll was dying... disco and corporate rock dominated the late 1970s.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

They definitely opened for Kiss.

roachone likes this.
  10. ultimerazzia

ultimerazzia Member

Led Zeppelin gets my vote as well!
    Definitely the first name that came to my mind.

Badtone likes this.
  11. Antmax

Antmax Member

Led Zeppelin might have been the biggest in the States. But they had nowhere near as big a following back home in the UK. I think The Who were bigger with my old mans Mods and Rockers generation.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM
  12. The Captain

The Captain Member

You killed John Bonham ........you bastard !!

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

Musically speaking? No rock band could come close to playing Zappa material. Not one of them.

14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Sorry man. You picked up the code words - I "ordered Zep tickets" means - he had to go. Owed large amounts of money to some people. Eh - I don't ask questions - just get the job done! I remember asking - "do ya have a picture of this guy? where does he live? what's his routine?" :p:p

15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I just thought it was an interesting list. If you just think "70's rock" and include the touring then, sure, it's a pretty short list. One person's "rock" might include another person's "pop" and so on.

LZ is a band that pretty much defined the 70's rock ideal. Other band's material from that era hold up better over time though. Pink Floyd is an excellent example of that.

16. dansworld

dansworld Member

And Journey.

17. rwmct

rwmct Member

It would be interesting to get numbers for all tickets sold. My recollection is the Dead toured relentlessly. It had to add up.

I always think of the Led Zep, the Who, and the Stones as the big three. But that does not mean they sold the most tickets, which to me is the criteria for answering this question.

27sauce likes this.
  18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

A good friend of mine’s dad was a big time promoter here and we’ve talked about famous shows(Stones, Double Live Gonzo...) and one thing he stresses is nobody(artists included) will ever know the true numbers.

Concert promotion is the Wild West now, it was really the Wild West back in the days of the regional promoters.
    You could have had a sold out show where the artist made a ton of money, but only half the audience actually paid(full price or at all) for their tickets. Between the promoter, band management, radio stations, local sponsors...lots of favors left and right.

Papered rooms are still a very real thing to this day.

makeitstop likes this.
  19. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Zeppelin and Floyd cant be beat but Id like to take this occasion to say Slade... really the most forgotten band of all times, they had a lot of hits, sold more than Zeppelin in the first half of the 70s in the UK, had original style, imitated by many, rocked til the 80s, still not much remembered...