1 spot vs. pedalpower

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elegend, Apr 1, 2008.

1. elegend

elegend Member

hey guys, i've been using the 1 spot since forever and always wondered what the difference was between this $20 plug and the $160 power bricks. i don't hear much of a hum or anything unless i'm using a boost pedal..so what's the deal? why are people dropping 8 times as much for these pedalpower things?

my current effects loop is:
    vox wah -> tu2 -> cs3 -> ds1 -> ts9 -> bd2 -> ce-5 -> ge7 -> dd6 -> holy grail plus

2. greeny

greeny Member

I use a godlyke, which is similar to the spot, and again works perfectly I have no reason to think about changing, no hum.

I guess the argumanet is that the 'proper' supplies are all isolated and independent, so you are less likely to have a noise/humm problem.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I defended the one spot for years, then it recentlyt fried 5 pedals (I don't want to mention the makers).
    I just got a pedal power 2.
    Now happy and loud as hell.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My 1 spot is dying after 2 years of use. I think Im going to get a pedal power before the thing fries my pedals! Bob

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I used the 1 spot but had some pedals it just wouldn't work with; Option 5, TC Nova, Holy Grail etc and I didn't want to fool with a combination 1 spot and wall warts. So I bought a PP 2+ to do it all.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

There's really no comparison between them - the 1spot is a single power source, which is then shared between the pedals through the use of a daisy chain. The Pedal Power is actually eight separate power supplies under the same hood, fooling each pedal into thinking it's alone (like it would be on battery power). If you don't get any additional noise from using the 1spot/daisy chain thing, coughing up for the PP2+ probably won't make much sense. But if you have problems with hum when using the daisy chain, an isolated power supply like the PP2+ can solve those issues in a flash.

/Andreas

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

+1000.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

And if you're using something like a JangleBox compressor or HBE Germania, which require positive center power supplies, you can't run those on the same daisy chain with center negative pedals. Another advantage to the isolated outputs!

I've used a Pedal Power since 1997, the one on my main board. I have another of the same vintage powering the pedals and Axess stuff in my rack. I have a newer Pedal Power 2+ on my little board. I'm a believer - there is nothing better than the Voodoo Lab unit!

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Curious what VS had to say about your problem?? Anything??. Not a onespot supporter by any means..Don't they guarantee these power supplies??

10. sega

sega Member

I recently noticed that when I use my Fulldrive 2 with the adaptor that come with the pedal I have a hum, when I take it off and use a battery i'm OK.

Is there something wrong with my adaptor?
    Or it's because it's not properly used?

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Not true.
    From the one spot website

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.5mm (1/8") Converter (C35):
    * Allows the 1 SPOT and MC5 cable to power Electro-Harmonix, older DOD, and other pedals that require a positive tip 3.5mm (1/8") plug

Also for certain vintage fuzzes and clones with reverse polarity there's this:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reverse Polarity Converter for Yamaha (CYR):
    * Allows the 1 SPOT and MC5 cable to power Yamaha keyboards, samplers, and drum machines, as well as certain reverse polarity effects pedals[/FONT]

You guys can keep your $160 behemoths. The 1spot has worked flawlessly for me pedal after pedal for well over 2 years and they keep improving the design. I have one of the original ones and one I bought last year and there is a clear difference in construction quality not to mention it now has 1.7ma available. Its cheap, fairly rugged, quiet and it works.

My buddy has 8 pedals on a single one spot including a DD-20 and it works perfectly. I have 6.

For a full rundown of what the 1spot can and can't handle check this out:
    http://www.visualsound.net/PDF/1SPOTCompatibilityChart.pdf

There ARE some pedals that require special treatment. for instance:
    the holy grail requires a separate 1spot to avoid noise. Personally I'd just avoid the holy grail.

12. sgs

sgs Member

I bought the original 1 spot and it served me well for many years. Never had a single problem. Just recently upgraded and it's even better (higher ma rating, longer 90 degree plug daisy chain). Maybe there's a noise issue with some pedals, but it's never happened with anything I've ever plugged into it...

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

snot eight. seleven biatch :dude

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The converter plug will make the 1 Spot compatible, but only as long as the reverse polarity item is the only pedal on the chain. Like I said, if you try to put positives and negatives on the SAME chain, it won't work.

15. Thames

Thames Member

No, it works. You're confonding positive/negative tips with +/- ground.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Please elaborate. How did the spot "fry" your pedals. All 5 at once? was there a power surge?

Were these pedals all boss style neg tip or did they require adapters? Are the pedals covered on the compatibility chart?

Something sounds strange about this.

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Looking at the compatibility chart this appears to be correct. The one spot with adapters can run positve and negative tip pedals at the same time off of a single 1 spot. The reverse polarity pedals require a separate one spot.

My answer is...So what?

another 1 spot + adapters ups your total investment to $50. Its still WAY less expensive than the PP2.

18. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If the hum goes away when you switch to battery power, it is definitely an adapter issue. What kind of adapter is it? The FD2 doesn't ship with an adapter, so if you got one with yours it could be anything...

/Andreas

19. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

they are in different classes, your talking about comparing a mini to a ferrari!

and, in the nicest way possible, most people wont fork out that much money for good gear/stuff and with that mentality, people dont know how good the pp2+ is because they have never tried better than a one spot.

they just think, this works, why even try pp2+. which is understandable, but when you do try it, its awesome!

even for the one fact of isolated outputs, ie, if one pedal shorts/dies due to power supply factors, only that pedal(and anything looped on same output) dies, it doesnt take your whole pedal board with it! but then other factors come into it, and if said problem happens, those pedals better be in looper or true bypass.....

this discussion could go on forever...

20. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have PPIIs on both my boards. Made them quieter and I love the sag control on my wahs and tranny effects! Can't do that with a one-spot!