1 Spot with Vintage Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blankfield, Feb 5, 2012.

1. blankfield

blankfield Supporting Member

Curious...does any one know if it is possible (read: safe) to power a ram's head muff with a 1 Spot and a battery clip adapter?

2. Young Dad

Young Dad Member

I power a green tall font from the 90s that way- been about a year now- no issues

3. blankfield

Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Any one else know if there is an issue with earlier Muffs? I'd really rather not try and fry as it were (if that's even a possibility.)

4. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Haven't had a Ram's head unfortunately. But I know for sure that a 1978 opamp muff that I used to have worked fine with negative center power supply. Maybe you can shoot Kit Rae a PM or email - he knows his Muffs.

5. blankfield

Thanks for the Kit Rae suggestion. I PM'd him and pointed him to this thread. I'll post the response for others, you know, for science.

Anyone else know if a 1 spot will play nicely with a V2 Muff?

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I can't add anything more than the above suggestions except:

Fuzz + 1 Spot [often] = Noise.

7. Distorque

Distorque Member

Some ram's head muffs are positive ground. This means that if you use a power supply to power it, you can't daisy-chain it with negative-ground pedals. So if you use that 1Spot only on the muff, it will work fine. On the other hand, if your muff is negative ground, you can daisy-chain it with negative ground pedals.

I've never experienced noise with a 1Spot. Used properly, the difference between a 1Spot and a battery should be imperceptible. If you are getting noise, that probably means that there's a ground loop in your setup or that you're daisy chaining a pedal (usually digital) that's dumping noise into the power line and needs its own isolated supply. It could also be that your pedal or 1Spot is defective, although that's less likely.

8. blankfield

In my case I would be using the 1 Spot by itself with the battery clip so whether the pedal is positive or negative ground would be moot, correct?

9. Distorque

Distorque Member

Yes, it only becomes a problem if you daisy-chain it.

10. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

The 1 Spot CBAT 9v adaptor is fine, but as Distorque noted, you will have issues daisy chaining if it is one of the odd positive ground Big Muffs. If your transistors are 2N5133, 2N5088, FS36999, or BC239, it is standard negative ground.

If you already have a standard Boss adapter (negative tip power like the Boss PSA 120T, PSA 120S), a cheaper solution is the 1 Spot CBAT converter. Snap right to the 9v battery snap and plug it in.