1 to 2 watt tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scott58, Jan 27, 2008.

1. scott58

scott58 Member

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm not to thrilled with 5 watt GC type stuff and I don't need alot of watts as it will be just for home practice and connection to a pod xt live. I'd prefer something highend, maybe drive 2x6's or 2x8's. Saw this kit, but don't know squat about it.

http://www.torresengineering.com/tintontweeda.html

There are several out there, but would like to use the best possible components and materials. Any pointers? Don't want to loud which is why I'd rather saturate a lower wattage.

2. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Do you definitely want to build something from a kit? If not, I can recommend a Bumbox Lead-1. Excellent amps, and perfect for the situation you describe.

3. poolah

poolah Member

+1 on the Bumbox. I've got one and I really like it. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are close together and the Lead One gets really nice Marshall like sounds without causing neighbor problems. It's also a really great recording amp. I've recorded with it as well as with my other amps which included a Victoria 20112, a couple of vintage Fenders and a Trainwreck clone and when you playback these other amps at the same level it's a bit shocking how good the Bumbox tracks stack up against the large amps. It makes you realize how much volume (Fletcher Munson curve anyone?) impacts your perception of how good something sounds.

P.S. I tried the one watt Torres Engineering thing at his shop in San Mateo and I was not particularly impressed.

4. scott58

scott58 Member

No i don't necessarily have to build it. I'm just trying to get away from solid state. But I want something I can turn up past 2 without pissing off the neighborhood and has good tone. I've tried the valve junior, blues jr, blackheart etc but want better materials quality. Tired of cheapy amps, but don't want high wattage. What can you tell me about the Bumbox Lead-1?

My experience with tube amps to date is really only through a 100 watt windsor head and 4x12's. It's got the creamy feel to it that I like but the cleans aren't the best and it's to loud to push the way i want to. Thanks

5. DavidB

DavidB Member

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

you might consider the Kingsley Deluxe 1 which allows all kinds of tubeswapping (without rebiasing) and wattage range is right where you want it to be...
    here is a link to the Kingsley website description of it:
    http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/deluxe_series/deluxe_1/deluxe_1.html

I have been very tempted by this many times...not considering it at the moment since I just got a used Kingsley Deluxe 32C at a great price and the powerscaling brings the volume down effectively to wherever you'd like...

I love powerscaling and think (that if well implemented) it can really make low volume great tones way better than usual attenuators...

As you may know, the Suhr Badger has powerscaling and so can give you great Marshally (with a touch of Vox as well) tones with a range of about half a watt up to 18 watts...powerscaling might be another way to approach how to get great tone at very low volume. It just came out in a new version with EL34s and now can reach 30 watts. The first Badger (just came out last year and so not old at all) is probably the one you should check out...

For other powerscaled amps hitting the Marshally tones, there is the Fargen Miniplex II (half a watt up to 12 watts), the Reeves 18 watter, the Reinhardt 18 watter (can have powerscaling as an option apparently--I haven't heard the Reinhardt or the Reeves but people seem to like them both). the new Mini-plex only recently came out and so not many reviews yet but people seem to like it much more than the first version and I am about to get one soon and can't wait!

I have heard that Emery Microbaby and Superbaby are very cool with lots of tubeswapping options...

Finally, do you know about the series of micro-amps that S2 amps are making? all have a type of powerscaling and range from less than half a watt up to 5 or 6 watts...they range in flavor from blackface Fender to Marshall to 'wreck to modern hi-gain stuff...they look great! Here is a link to their site: http://www.s2amps.com/microamps.html These are just getting made now and are new but have great initial reviews and the builders also make the well respected Category 5 amps...these guys obviously have innovative new ways to approach the age-old question of how to achieve great tube tone for the home and studio at very reasonable volumes...worth a look!

7. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I know you said you didn't want anything inexpensive, but I recently played the 1-watt Blackheart Killer Ant that's coming out in a couple of months. It easily drove a 4 X 12 cab and sounded stellar.

http://www.blackhearteng.com/bh1h.html

8. scott58

scott58 Member

Thanks guys, gave me a bit to think about. Downloading some of the sound files now. in the event I look at just the head have any recommendations for a cabinet. i was checking out a soldano 2x12. A bit bigger then I intended, but has good specs and looks pretty nice.