1 X 15 or 4 X 10

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Vaachek, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Combo amp, either GK or Ashdown, thoughts???

2. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

I guess a better question is, does a 15" move more air thant the 4-10's would, would the 15 give more low end??

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

In general I'd expect a 4x10 to move more air than a 1x15, just due to the larger speaker surface area. As for which would give more low end, that's mostly dependent on the speaker and cab design. I don't think you can make that determination strictly from speaker size.

Now in my experience with both types, I've found that 1x15s often have more of a mid-range hump, and this can maybe give the *impression* that they are producing less low end than a 4x10. I generally prefer 1x15s for this reason; i.e., more pronounced mids. But even that isn't always true.

/rick

4. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Thanks Rick, I'm a guitar player, so it's all new to me, making the change (temporarily, I hope) out of necessity, any experience with Ashdown or GK?

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Depending on where you're using it and what you're using it for...

Places with no PA support- the 4x10. You'll get more volume out of the 4x10.

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Both could move the same amount of air.
    There are two factors in air moving -- surface area and depth of piston travel (voice coil excursion). Speakers with large Xmax can move a lot more air than one with limited Xmax and large surface area.

While a single 15" speaker doesn't have as much surface area as four 10" speakers, it could easily produce every bit as much volume and every bit as much low-end. Check out the various fEARful speakers, and in particular the 15/6/1. If you don't know what this is, you owe it to yourself to look it up if you're a bass player.

7. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

British made Ashdown!

8. fakeox

fakeox Member

9. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I saw a guy have an 8-8" cab. I was sure it would not sound all that great, but that thing about knocked me over with the massive sound waves coming out of it.

The best cab I ever had was a Mesa 2-15" with EVM speakers.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

get the cab that has the sound you like, but the average music store 4x10 will far outpace the average music store 1x15. the 4x10 has almost as much speaker area as two 15s, and is driving it with four times as many voice coils and magnets.

the 4x10 also typically has more highs and lows than the 15, for the same reasons.

i myself like the midrange fatness of the classic "15 sound", so i use 2 compact single 15s in a stack.

and before anybody suggests it, one of each is not a good idea. they'll be unbalanced, and will often have phase anomalies that cause certain frequencies to get cancelled.

you see 4x10+1x15 stacks everywhere because folks buy with their eyes, the companies are happy to sell whatever buyers want, and the big endorsers posing with them in the magazines are playing on big stages with in-ears and don't hear their speakers (or even bother to plug them in) half the time anyway.

a matched pair of whatever cab you like will always work nicely.

11. Wag

Wag Member

^

This is the answer. I recently built a 12/6 fEARful cab and it rocks! I will never buy a prefab cab ever again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

which is why i referred to "music store 15s".

everything i've read about the fEARful stuff suggests it's playing by different rules.

13. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Member

The fEarfuls take advantage of the expensive, advanced, long-excursion Eminence Kappalite woofers, but also use high quality midrange drivers and well-engineered crossovers and cabinet designs. They started out as a DIY project by "Greenboy" over on TalkBass, and are now available as kits from SpeakerHardware.com, or as high quality finished cabs from several professional builders.

14. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Just noticed this part. 1x15. The ashdown 4x10 MAG 300 is a .... well its a challenge to move :) The newer GK M B series 1x15 gets good press.

15. Strat

Strat Member

Duke,

When is your new cab coming out ?

16. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Member

I just recently came out with a 4-ohm 115, which will be available in two formats, wide-body and compact. The former has been shipping for a couple of weeks now, and the latter will start shipping in March.

Then there's a modular system that will soon be in beta-testing, consisting of two complementary 8-ohm 112 cabs. Can't project an introductory date yet, sorry.

Or were you referring to something else? I have other stuff in the pipeline too... no 410s, though!

17. redmax61

redmax61 Member

I'd encourage you to also check out an Avatar 2x12 bass cabinet. The 12's will move a bit faster than the 15, and still give a decent amount of punch and snap. I have three bass cabs, 10's, 12's and 15's. The 12's sound the most balanced to me.

[​IMG]

18. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Thanks guys, FWIW, I went with the Ashdown EVO 1 X 15, hopefully a good first amp, been doing guitar for 30yrs, so starting slow here, but looking into fEARful, thanks for all the great input!!!

19. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Also interesting -- the Avatar TB153, which has the 15" Kappalite 3015 LF driver, a 6" mids from Eminence and a tweeter. All for only $589 (plus shipping) in tolex. $639 in Line-X. I haven't heard it, but the specs begin to look much like the fEARful setup (probably should, since TalkBass was involved heavily). One main difference will be in the crossovers (these are vital to the fluency of the cabinet) and in the construction. Avatar still builds these from 3/4" Birch ply and builds them with front-to-back bracing (three of them) ala 4x12s. The bad news is that the resulting cabinet is 63 pounds with the Neo driver, another 12 pounds heavier with the ceramic version. Ooof.

20. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Not an issue here, because it's a combo, but in our band (loud and riff-heavy, early ZZ Top-ish blues rock trio), we found a 1x15 PA cab sounds way better than a 4x10 bass cab. This seemed to be because the bass player's head, a "45W" Traynor YBA-1, wasn't pushing the 800W speakers enough to bring them to life...

Regarding the Traynor head, we've been consistently amazed at how good it sounds, in spite of the (conservative) wattage rating. It's more than loud enough and has tons of balls, keeping up with my 100W Marshall half-stack just fine. Has a great overdriven tone that's perfect for the stuff we're playing, it's very live-Jack Bruce-like.