• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

10-37 gauge string for Strat.....

cap10kirk

I've tried 10-38s, just because someone gave me a pack of them. I hated them, and couldn't get them off my guitar fast enough. The whole set felt and sounded very unbalanced to me.

kimock

I mean 10-38 (10 13 15 26 32 38)
a la Hendrix / Gallagher.... any first hand experience? (no pun intended)
I tried that gauge on a Strat recently and really liked them.
I remember using them when I started playing almost 50 years ago, but I went backwards with the string gauge thing as I got older and played 14’s for most of my life.
.038 was normally a D string for me.

The only issue I had with them was I thought the .026w D string was a little out-of-balance, just a little too big and loud relative to the rest of the set considering it was the first of the wound strings and sitting right next to the .015p G.

So I put a .024w on for D and that was pretty much perfect.
Great set as-is if you like light strings, classic sound.
As ridiculous as the 38 low E seemed to me before I tried them, the only low string balance issue for me was it made the D feel out of spec.

5F6-A

Straight from Roger Mayer's mouth....

Jimi used Fender 150 Rock n'Roll or Rotosound Cosmic Light... same gauge I believe.

Qmax

I just put a set of SIT 10-38’s on my Tele and at first wasn’t so sure. After adding a bit of relief, I have to say they have a real nice feel and sound to them. Much easier on the hands with a pretty full sound to them. Who knew!

Sadhaka

I always use 10-52 on both Fender and Gibson. I find that it reduces buzz on the bass strings.

Interested by the comments about lightening up a dark neck pickup. I have a Strat that might benefit from trying this.

Do you have the bass side action a bit higher to reduce buzz?

Daniel Travis

Silver Supporting Member
I find it pretty difficult to play a standard set of 10s because how light the tension is; my hand is cramping just imagining a 37 tuned to low E.

Same, I use 10-52's exclusively, and can't imagine my 200+ bpm metal triplet gallops being even physically possible.

Mr Fingers

I don't like the big jump in gauge between the G and D, but that's minor. For me, the big impact is in the feel and how you play, and this light-bottom set makes great sense if you're playing as Jimi did, and want that kind of tonal response. I disagree that these are the cure for a boomy bass, as there are other and better places in your signal chain to accomplish that. You can get very tight, precise, and non-loud bass with heavier gauges! These light bass strings are, if anything, sloppier -- as Jimi liked.

5F6-A

I'm going to try the 10-38 set in my Strat for those Hendrixy 60s hippy moments.... not sure if I'll like it in a tele project I have. The tele is more rockabilly, jazz affair. I think 10-46 would be better there. What do you think?

NWinther

Well these guys did play big amps back then, and they never lacked any lowend or deep mids....
On a measly small combo the lack of lows is more profound, especially in these non rock'n'roll time we have now....do not play loud ;)
Have tried the skinny top and the skinny bottom strings, I like the Balanced tension from D'Addario....but they are rubbery strings from birth...so I do not use them much!
Still use 10-46 as it is.

5F6-A

Tried a set of GHS 10-38 today on the Strat as planned..... very sleek. The Boomers sound great to my ears. Forgot how much I liked how they sound fresh out of the packet. Will the tone last? We'll see... anyway, the 10-38 gauge feels different but surprisingly good. Now the D, not the G, feels heavier/stiffer than the rest but nothing too drastic. I like the clearer bass content of the low E and A although the slinkier E feels a bit floppy if you've been playing stout low Es for a while. Strummed all the notes blend nicely keeping an appealing balance between individual clarity and blurred edges. Very nice....

Summary:

GHS quality: 9/10
Boomers tone: 8/10
Feel strings: 8/10
Feel specific Hendrix gauge: 7/10

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to try the 10-38 set in my Strat for those Hendrixy 60s hippy moments.... not sure if I'll like it in a tele project I have. The tele is more rockabilly, jazz affair. I think 10-46 would be better there. What do you think?
Most people would use 11s for more of a Rockabilly, swing tone. But ultimately it's up to your taste, electric guitar strings are cheap enough to experiment with.

5F6-A

Ronquillo is right. There's something very Hendrixy about the 1038 gauge set. It's a lot janglier with a style that reminds me of the music made in the late 60s. I have been using GHS Boomers which have been around for a lng while and has round cores contributing to the vintage tone. I compared them to a a set of NYXL 10-46. The boomers are janglier and floppier. They also have much lower output. they sound very vintagey but compared to the NYXL, they lack some oomph in the low end, some presence in the midrange and 'modern sparkle' for the lack of a better word. The 10-38 Boomers will really shine when played through a big, valve amp with plenty of low end (e.g. JTM45). The NYXL sound very good through anything. The thinner gauge for sure wins in term of authenticity although they might be too reedy for some people used to modelling amps.

darkinners

I play really really hard,I use 52 on strat for standard tuning. I can't imagine how 37 on low E is like.
It must out of tune instantly when I strum on it...

Trending Topics