10 Buring questions I have

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by edwarddavis, Mar 16, 2006.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

1. Why bother buying all these different distortion pedals instead of getting one killer amp that fits your needs. I see that these custom pedals are quite alot and after all is said and done wouldnt a real nice amp just do the trick.
    2. Whats so great about a klon, never heard one except on clips but thats it.
    3. If you amp can`t get you the sound you want how does a pedal do it. isnt the pedals sound only as good as the amp.
    4. Has anybody ever found the perfect sound and jsut stopped buying stuff.
    5. If you have a great guitar and a great amp why bother with distortion pedals.
    6. Whats makes some of these pedals cost so much.
    7. Is it fun just collecting them like amps ,guitars.
    8. I am 45 and had a bunch of pedals years ago. At that time they were cheap and you could not give them away, what has brought on the big demand.
    9. Doesnt a bunch of pedal detract fom the amps pure sound.
    10. Would you rather have a $1500 killer amp or a so so amp with $1000 worth of pedals.

Just curious I really gont get the whole pedal thing. A delay and a chorus and a reverb but the whole distortion and boost pedal thing has got thi sold guy stumped.
    What happened to great guitar, great amp and a decent cord and let it rip.
    thanks

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

1. Well, I don't buy "all these distortion pedals". I only have a couple overdrives. I like a clean amp and the only amps I like that are clean and have good drives are $$$. So I prefer to have a Fender and throw a couple $100 pedals in front of it.
    2. Supposedly a really great clean boost and low gain OD...never played one, so I don't know. Too expensive for me.
    3. I don't know how the pedals do it but they do.
    4. LOL....not on this board.
    5. If you have a guitar and amp that fits all your OD/Distortion needs then you wouldn't bother with them. Most people like different "flavors" of overdrive though.
    6. They are handbuilt (many times by only one person with no staff). Throw in the cost of research/development, having someone paint them, all the expenses of the components and time involved. And many of them are just plain overpriced but we'll pay it anyway. 2 that aren't and people LOVE are the "Timmy" and MI Audio Blues Pro/Blue Boy.
    7. Yes! But I don't keep anything I don't use. I'm not a collecting to be collecting.
    8. Boutqiue chic. ;)
    9. It can.
    10. So so amp, tons of pedals.

3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

1. Why bother buying all these different distortion pedals instead of getting one killer amp that fits your needs. I see that these custom pedals are quite alot and after all is said and done wouldnt a real nice amp just do the trick.

>>> Maybe. But you might have different needs at different times. Carrying 10 amps is not practical. 10 pedals is.

>>> You have to try it for yourself. It's the best pedal out there IMHO, and I'll never part with mine.

3. If you amp can`t get you the sound you want how does a pedal do it. isnt the pedals sound only as good as the amp.

>>> You amp might be almost there. The pedal takes you the rest of the way.

>>> 4a...Yes....4b....No.

5. If you have a great guitar and a great amp why bother with distortion pedals.

>>> Most great amps don't have great distorion. Unless it's a Diezel or something like that.

>>> THese pedals are cheap. If you think a few hundred $$$ is alot of money in 2006, then you have more pressing
    concerns than buying pedals.

>>> Yes, and easier.

8. I am 45 and had a bunch of pedals years ago. At that time they were cheap and you could not give them away, what has brought on the big demand.

>>>99% of the older pedals sucked. Tube screamers Phase 90s and Ross compressors were the exception.

>>> It could. THats why there are pedal switchers.

10. Would you rather have a $1500 killer amp or a so so amp with $1000 worth of pedals.

>>> Very few new killer amps are $1500. Most are twice that or more. $1000 worth of pedals isn't ness. all that many either. I think alot of stuff, especially booteek stuff, could run 10g for amp, pedals and guitar.

4. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

These types of comments really bug me. Why do people assume that if you use pedals, your rig sounds like crap without them?

I have several killer amps that sound great without any pedals whatsoever. I don't need pedals to make these amps sound good. However, I do like to have some high gain sounds available to me, and for that I use pedals. I just don't understand why that makes me a leper.

IMHO, all these modern channel switching master volume amps are pretty disappointing. If people want to be purists they can start by getting rid of the cascaded gain stages in their amps. As far as I'm concerned these are effects too - they just happen to be built in. This applies to reverbs, tremelos and top boosts too.

If you want pure tone, get an acoustic guitar. You've already made your deal with the devil once you plugged in!

5. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

If you can find an amp that sounds and reacts like a ZVex Fuzz Factory, I'll buy 100 of them!!!

To each his own. Your sound is obviously rooted in amp tones. Others use pedals. Plug in your gutiar, wail away and don't worry about it!

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

1. Why bother buying all these different distortion pedals instead of getting one killer amp that fits your needs.
    >>Never heard an amp that could cover really great clean tones and really great high gain tones personally. If they exist, they probably cost $3000. My Allen Tonesavor and SIB Varidrive do the trick for about $1200

>>You have to hear it to believe it. Still might not be for you, but it's no Boss pedal for sure

>>Yes and no. The Hermida Grinder I use for Metal tones is too tight to get that kind of sound out of a tube amp (unless we're talking fancy-schmancy dedicated metal gear). I paid $108 for it used.

>>I'm almost there myself, but really this is the BEST place to find gear-addicts on the internet. It really is a disease.

>>Because it gives you variety for minimum dinero$

>>They were researched and tested exclusively by hand by someone who was looking to perfect ONE particular sound. Many of the boutique pedal makers Don't charge an arm & a leg (like David Barber or Paul Cochrane)

>>Yes but costs less.

>>Pedals have gotten better! It all started with Fulltone and the Klon way back when ~1994.

>>Doesn't have to, but who wants an amp's "pure sound" all the time? Not me.

>>I think the so-so amp with $1000 worth of pedals is not going to happen very often. Most folks here have decent amps & guitars to begin with. THEN the beauty of great pedals can be heard properly.

8. AL30

AL30 Member

1. Texture. Nice amp? - probably
    2. Don't know, never played one and at that price never will.
    3. Not necessarily
    4. Yeah, for about a week.
    5. See answer #1
    6. I wish I knew. Rule of thumb Cost of parts x 3 = sale price. Unless you've got a middle man.
    7. Apparently
    8. Hype - and technology
    9. Sometimes
    10. Oh yeah. Great amp all the way - got a few of them.

There's a lot more to choose from now. It's fun to experiment and apparently it's also a problem worthy of therapy - and chapter 11. Everyone's got a vice. I prefer amps but I do have a few pedals on my board - 3 to be exact which is pretty anemic in comparison to some peopel on this board:D . Clean boost, overdrive, distortion/fuzz.

I used to play with no pedals. It was fantastic but I need a little more now that I'm playing with another guitar player.

AL

9. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It's a typo. I'm sure he meant "boring". *

* Just kidding - don't hate me. ;)

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This exact question has been asked many times and I always try and chime in when it comes up.

First off, the choices are not just:

1. A killer amp, cable and guitar or

2. A so so amp and killer pedals.

Add *a killer amp and killer pedals*.

Many people need the flexibility that this platform offers. Plus, rock and blues are not the only valid guitar applications and generally these genre’s are what someone is referring to when posing the guitar/chord/amp scenario. I need a great clean tone (perceivably completely clean) and a great dirty rhythm/dirty lead tone. And I’ve never heard a two channel amp that gave me the clean tone I want and the dirty tone. And it is impossible to get the clean to dirty tones I want with a amp on the verge of breakup and adding an OD or boost. I don’t care how good the amp is purported to produce this continuum of tones, it’s impossible. And anyone who suggests having a couple of amps with an A/B box most likely doesn’t gig as much as I do. Try loading a large rig like that in and out of your house 2-5 times per week. 95% chance you’ll understand the combo amp/pedals/guitar scenario much better.

All that to say in one sentence… My FAVORITE tone is pedals into a Vox derived amp. It’s that simple.

BTW, for me that combo is usually a handful of dirt pedals (Eternity, Keeley RAT, Zvex Fuzz Factory) plus a good compressor, wah, delay, reverb and tremolo into a clean TopHat Club Royale. Tis the best tone IMO. :AOK

11. DK207

DK207 Member

I think that buying pedals for different tones is way cheaper than buying different amps for the same effect. Pedals also allow for tonal diversity and......what the hell, they're just fun and safer than crack!

12. wopr

wopr Member

For me, in a cover band, I need different types of od/distortion on tap. A two channel amp doesn't really give me the same flavors, cause I have never been good at changing my volume knob on the fly. So, I use a clean Fender amp with a light OD and a Heaver OD.

And, no doubt, gear is a hobby for me.

I don't collect pedals. But I find that reading, learning, and trying new gear just reinforces my longer hobby/obsession of guitar. It just keeps me more interested in the whole process.

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Why does it matter to you what I or anyone else uses to get the tones they want? To be perfectly honest, if you use a guitar, a cord, and an amp and nothing else it has zero bearing on my quality of life. Knock yourself out, no skin offa my teeth, etc.

14. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

1. Is that "killer amp a used pignose or a $$$$ Dumble. And the pedals that you question are broken up into Boost, OD, Distortion and Fuzz, four very different animals
    2. The klon, when used as designed, acts as an extention of your amp interacting with it to create different textures and /or tones
    3. If everthing was to be different shades of gray this might be true. My amp(s) give me great tones, but I don't play one kind of music, so I choose to vary their abilities.
    4. Dozens of times
    5. You shouldn't when you don't want/have to!
    6. Whatever the market will support, with the exception of the occational deal.
    7. It can be.
    8. I'm 48 and still have them and some you can't give away and others command an incredible markup. But you have to want to create demand.
    9. Throwing grapes in a glass doesn't make wine either.
    10. There are probably many here that would like to scale back.
    11. SPELL CHACK IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

15. Ted James

Ted James Member

Dude...this is a hobby site. Can't you go troll the Model Railroad sites and ask why the little trains are so expensive or the car sites and ask why those guys need so many cars when you only need one to get around in?

And. quite frankly I'm always amazed at how cheap the boutique pedals/guitars/amp are considering the makers are putting a lot of design and build time plus parts into them while they arent exactly selling millions (or often even thousands) of them. Not like they are going to sleep in big piles of money at night.

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

1. I own a killer Amp (Vox AC30). However, one cannot get every tone from a specific amp. I like to have the abuilty to augment my "killer amps" tone.

2. Couldn't tell ya. I don't think it sounds good with my Vox AC30.

3. Your amp is always going to maintain some of its tone, in the case of mine, the chiminess and low end girth that the AC30 is known for. However, a pedal can squash, squeeze, dirty, clean, etc up the tone of the amp, so that It gets new tones, not possible from the amp itself.

4. Haha, Im sure they have, but I enjoy trying out new toys.

5. My first comment on this was, cause its fun! But getting beyond that, in the case of my amp, I dont really like turning the volume up that high, that it distorts. It peels paint off the walls, and burns through tube's a hell of lot quicker. Essentially, a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pushes an amp into its high gain state, so that your not working the tubes over.
    - Guys like Brian May, Rory Cochrane, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton used to have these little boxes called rangemasters attached to their amps. Essentially these were treble boosts that were on all the time. So its not like this is a super new concept, its just now this type of box is available in a floor pedal that can be turned on and off. Its essentially a question of how much control do you want over your equipment.

6. Parts/Demand. For instance, the TIM is only 150 bucks if you buy it from Tim Cochrane, the maker, but on ebay its going for over 250 because of the million mile wait to get a pedal from Tim. I personally refuse to pay more than 250 for anything... Thats a price range Ill only enter for guitars and amps.

7. Yes!

8. When you were buying them, issues like tone suck and bypass were a huge problem. Nowdays, the boutique pedal manufactures are working out ways to get around tone suck, and have built pedals with true bypass, allowing players to chain tons of these pedals together without loss of tone, or color to their clean tones.

9. Yes, unless they have been properly built as stated previously

10. Id rather have my $1500 dollar amp with $1000 in pedals... but Ill take an amp over the pedals.... thing is, I love my amp. I dont need another one. I love my guitars. Dont need another one. So I invest in pedals to have fun and try new equipment.

17. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Well said... especially about the vox amp. Thats how I like to work it. Keep the amp at mid volume... so its not breaking up, and you can get a beautiful clean tone. Use and OD, Boost, distortion or compressor to push that baby over the top for different gain tones.

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Wow... Now thats what Im talking about. Some serious Gain! 10 gain pedals, with a compressor. Sick man! Sick! =)

19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Wow, what a response. thanks.
    I guess theres all kinds , what ever makes you happy. As for me collecting trains, I rather buy guitars . I have some pretty nice ones as well like many here.

I was just a little curious about the Pedal craze.:horse

Plus I called in sick from work and had nothing else to do.
    thanks

20. trucks

trucks Member

1. A killer amp is a must; however, pedals add flavor. Sometimes you want smooth, other times grit and a boost to take a solo. If that is in the same song, you ain't gonna run over and mess with amp settings.

2. I don't have one, but lots of info has been posted here.

3. No, some great sounding amps hate pedals and some amps with great cleans have great leads with a good pedal.

4. Not perfect and besides my musical taste changes. I don't want to sound the same year after year.

5. See 1.

6. Just like everything else: costs, R&D, availability, demand, etc. A lot of great pedals sell used for as much or more than they cost new.

7. More fun for me. I can add to my tonal options for much less money and without changing my basic sound. Also, I can buy without having to track one down to try in person with the rest of my gear. I just count on resell. I might have a great evening trying a pedal out and the total cost to me is less than a couple of beers.

8. Not sure. Electronics continue to improve, but there are some great vintage pedals. Did you have a 70's BMP, AD-80 or original TS? You could give those to me. ;)

9. This is an important consideration and is not limited to OD/Boost pedals. A good buffer or true-bypass pedal, quality cable and isolated power are a must to me.

10. Fortunately, I did not limit myself to either choice. I did start with a great amp first.