10" Jupiter 10LA alnico vs 10" Red Fang alnico?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redeyedjim, Apr 1, 2015.

1. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Looking for a big sounding, loud, chimey 10" speaker for a Rivera Clubster 25-110. This is a two channel amp, 25w, 2x6v6 amp with a Fender-like clean channel and a low-to-medium gain lead channel, so the speaker needs to handle both cleans and grit very well.

I've heard good things about the Eminence Red Fang (102+ db efficiency, so LOUD and also "pretty good sounding"). Have also read some very promising general things about Jupiter speakers, but nothing specific about the Jupiter 10" alnico.

Any thoughts or experiences with either of these two speakers? I have an EV10M in there now, and it's OK if a bit sterile, though it does handle both cleans and dirt pretty well.

Thanks in advance!

2. redeyedjim

Bump - Does anyone have firsthand experience with either speaker?

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had both. The Red Fang is one of the few Alnico speakers I like. Clean, Loud and throaty. However I only had it in a Z28 so not sure in other amps.

4. redeyedjim

Great - thanks for the info. Red Fang sounds like what I'm looking for.

What were your impressions of the Jupiter? I am having a hard time finding info on it.

5. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I use the Red Fang 10 in my Dr Z CG. Sounds huge !

6. redeyedjim

An update: I received the 10" Red Fang alnico a few days ago and tried it in the amp I originally intended it for, a Rivera Clubster 25-110 (25w, 2 x 6V6). It is not yet broken in. It was LOUD in this amp, as expected, and it didn't sound bad, but I'm not sure it sounded particularly good w/this amp right out of the box. It probably needs 20-40 hours of break in to lose some of its harshness. Like most amps, I think the Rivera sounds best when you push the power tubes a bit, but this speaker is so efficient that the volume on "3" was already too loud (and shrill!) for my practice room. And it wasn't a good sort of loud. If this were an engine, it would have sounded more like a chainsaw than a V8. It made me realize that I may not want a speaker that's this efficient with this particular amp, lol. OK, lesson learned. On a hunch I tried a different speaker, a Celestion Gold G10 that I had in another amp, and THAT speaker seems like the keeper with this Clubster. The G10 has the chime and sweetness I was hoping for and none of the harshness I was hearing with the RF. :aok

However, all was not lost with the Red Fang, as I did find a good home for it. I have a '66 VibroChamp that's seen a number of different speakers in it over the last few years. The VibroChamp has a 10" baffle and an Allen Amps TO8C OT with an 8 ohm tap, so the RF dropped right in. WOW :love: It is an amazing sounding speaker in the VibroChamp! It sounded awesome throughout the Champ's volume range, but it sounded really good cranked up to 7+ and better still with a clean boost on the input signal: loud, jangly, sweet, complex, all that good stuff. As I said, I've been parading speakers through this amp for several years, and this was by far the best sounding speaker I've tried in it. It's a keeper.