10 overdrive pedals with one guitar, amp and the same riff.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stoei, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Stoei

Stoei Member

I made this video with some of the overdrive pedals I have laying around. I dialed in my favorite settings on the pedals and played the same riff with the same guitar and amp. Really hard to pick a winner here for me, but I guess I have a couple of favorites.

I'm planning to do another one, so if you have any suggestions on what pedals to include, let me know!

2. van_delay

van_delay Member

Nice demo!

I preferred the Bondi Sick As, the VFE Merman, and the Klon. They all seemed to be the least congested to me.

3. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

I agree, Bondi and Merman for the win...

4. Stoei

Stoei Member

Thanks! Seems like you are into those haunting mids... :)

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

even though I haven't watched the video yet (at work).... great idea! look forward to a listen later tonight. question: did you go for the same overdrive level, volume, tone etc?

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Very nice job on the demo. Quick and to the point. I can't stand when they talk and talk about every knob, and feature. We can look up specs. Great job.

I never heard of most of them, but I liked quite a few, the Merman stuck out to me. I don't care for congested ones. Some seemed to not have as much drive/gain. Did you try to set them a certain way, to match levels, or did you run them all the way cranked to show how much drive available?

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

ok, just had my lunch break... listened to it all.

you know what.... I think the difference between all of the pedals was negligible. the OP has a great guitar and a good amp tone. I heard variances in EQ and gain, between the pedals, but none of them impacted on the tone that the guitar/amp provided.

and seeing as though they were all dialed in to sound the same, I'd say it doesn't really matter which pedal you use. a good player will find their tone irregardless.

:D

sorry OP! you provided a transparent platform to compare a bunch of pedals and all you did was prove that a good guitarist can use any pedal to achieve the tone they desire.

8. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I'd have to say bondi, merman, and morning glory for me. I do agree that the guitar/amp tone came through on all the pedals, but those three to me seemed to have a more open sound to me that didn't choke the tone of the amp/guitar as much, if at all.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Robot, Timmy (or was it Tim) And Klon stood out to me as the ones I really liked best. I have a Klon, maybe ought to think about getting a Timmy.

Bra jobba! Hvilken del av Oslo holder du deg til?

10. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Dang, was hoping you'd chain them all and play all at the same time at the end!

FWIW, I liked the best:

Bondi Sick As (is this a Klon derivative? I played one up against my Klon(e) and was able able to get very similar tones. Obviously having a bass AND treble knob shakes things up a bit )

Klon - just sounds refined

JHS Morning Glory - Sorta made me want to get one again.

VFE Merman - Apparently I like Klon(e)s. haha

11. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

OP, thanks for the video clip. How did you record the audio? Where the output of a pedal goes to and what is the whole path?
    I'd propose to add Rimrock Mythical Overdrive to the test. Hope not too many clones :)

12. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Also, maybe it was just this setup, but the Timmy sounded pretty weak.

13. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I think both the merman and bondi are original circuits, just are both capable of doing the klon sound, I know the merman is a unique circuit, just happens to cover klon territory very well, and beyond.

14. Stoei

Stoei Member

I tried to keep them at the same volume, but the rest is set how I like it with that certain pedal.

15. Stoei

Stoei Member

The Timmy usually sounds great with this setup, so I think didn't dial it in properly. As mentioned, I planning to do another one and I'm thinking of doing the Timmy again. It's one of my favorite drives, and I know I can get better sounds from it.

16. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

The Timmy and Morning Glory were the ones I'd prefer...grit rather than fizz/fuzz and articulate without being too pristine.

17. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

The Klon did it for me.

There was something going on 'under' the notes that was appealing.

It's hard to explain, but there was just more to the tone than the notes with the Klon.

18. Stoei

Stoei Member

Timmy and Klons go well together!

Takk! Løkka :)

19. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

That's why I asked about the path. I have Timmy and Odie out of this bunch. Both are great pedals. But I won't say they shine in this video.

20. clamboy

clamboy Member

Hey man and thanks for the demo. What kind of guitar are you using? Thanks!