10 Reasons why I love my Club Royale

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ahab, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ahab

ahab Member

1. It has the most amazing overdrive grind at real stage volumes. (I used to gig a 100 watt plexi, overkill to say the least).

2. The master volume works better than the attenuators I have used with other amps.

3. Master all the way up feels like a NMV amp.

4. It can chime like a vox and grind like a marshall, not identical, but the influence is there.

5. It's green.

6. It's bullet proof. I have gigged, rehearsed, and tracked this amp exclusively for over four years now and I have yet to change the tubes (I know, I know, I'll get some soon). It has sounded wonderful in each situation.

7. The last gig I played someone asked me if I am a Charlie Sexton fan because he heard Sexton in my tone and playing...I'll take that.

8. The low notes hold together and sound big for a 20 watt amp.

9. It loves my Supatrem and I can cop many of the Americana tones I love.

10. It loves P90 Les Pauls, which are my favorite guitars.

CR owners, please feel free to add to this list.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

All of the above plus;

As much as it loves my P-90 Les Paul Special, it loves my tele even more. ;)

I can use it in ridiculously low volume situations if I need but it just comes to life and sings when I can run the MV wide open and get the volume knob up to about 1/3. That's also when the lows really thump but stay tight.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Another thing you need to add to your *specific* list is that it's a 2001 model. I'm probably in the minority among many boutique amp fans and TopHat fans, but the Club Royale with the solid state rectifier is the best iteration of the circuit IMO. Has a decent amount of clean headroom for a 20 watt cathode biased EL84 amp.

I have two form this era. My 2x12 specifically is easily the best amp I've ever owned. And although I've played through some great amps, I keep coming home to my Club Royale. It's got a real nice, sweet midrange with tight bass and clear highs.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

(Club deluxe owner)

1. Grab-n-go.

2. Perfect club volume. (inspired the name?)

3. Excellent clean & crunch tones that are controlled from the guitar's volume.

4. Big, full-bodied tones from a small amp.

5. Classic good looks.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

Mine smells good. :)

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Funny

When I first started hanging here, the Club Royale was the amp everyone was gagga over. But new flavours emerged and the Top Hat amps sort of faded away. Glad people still love them.

7. ahab

ahab Member

I believe I bought mine NOS in 2005, but it might have been in late 04. It is the best amp I have ever owned. Offed a Purple 1959 SLP to afford it. And I couldn't be happier.

Aaron, you and I are in the same boat. I love my SS Rec. Club Royale, but the newest version sure sounds good too.

8. asatman82

asatman82 Member

I own a club royale mk11 now, just recently purchased from another TPG member. I was looking for the low wattage perfection of clean tones and this does it for me. I also love the build and attention to detail. Rock on!!!

9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

This thread has got me fired up about the 2008 CR 1x12 I just bought in the emporium! As a PSA there's a guy on Atlanta Craigslist asking 1100 for a 2005 2x12. That was tempting at that price but I was afraid of the weight.

10. HHB

HHB Member

I've used mine on every gig for the last 2 years ( since I got it) for me it's the huge tone out of the 112 amp, sounds like a 1/2 stack somehow, I'll never gig another amp

11. DanR

DanR Member

Mine is green also, like the OP. I really wanted the burgandy,but found a good deal on Ebay in '04 on the green. Since then, the green color has grown on me and I wouldn't want it any other color.

Anyhow, here's my reasons why I love my Club Royale:

1. It sounds great.

2. It's (1 X 12" combo) easy to carry.

3. It looks good.

12. skunx

skunx Member

Not a Club Royale but I love my Super Deluxe more and more everytime I plug into it. I've had it about 8 months and haven't looked at other amps since.

13. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I've had my 2000 CR since 1999. Still sounds awesome. No problems.

They're not extremely heavy amps.

14. mockoman

mockoman Member

Yup,my 2 X 12 CR weighs about the same as my 1 X 12 Maz Jr.

15. ahab

ahab Member

Darn it, I knew I forgot something.

Cheers to an incredible amp :aok

16. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Got mine today....sounds great with the WGS Black and Blue I popped in.

Anyone care to share some favorite settings?

I got this amp with the idea of using it more for drive tones, as a complement to my Tone King Imperial. I'm really finding the thick, juicy clean tones to be more my style. Haven't tried any drive pedals in front of it yet. I have a ZVEX SHO, a Barber 1/2 Gainer, and the obligatory TS copies here so I will give that a whirl if home life conditions allow. :beer

17. ahab

ahab Member

If you get a chance, give a Treble Booster a try. You need to have the amp cooking a bit, but it's well worth it.

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I liked mine and it was a great amp for sure (P-90 Les Paul sounded really good in it I agree).

You should try a Matchless Lightning; just a monster of a little amp that I should never have sold.

I also like the Vicky Deluxe I have and though its not as versatile or as loud it works well for my gigs I think I might prefer a club deluxe.

19. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

while i dont have a CR, i DO have an emplexador 50w MKII and some of your reasons apply to me and my MKII...

and yes, mine is GREEN!!! green tophats are da shith!

20. ahab

ahab Member

Actually, when I was looking for my amp, I compared it to a Matchless Lightning, a Maz 18, a Vicky Deluxe and Double Deluxe, a Bad Cat Cub or Cub II (I can't remember). For me the Club Royale was the decisive winner. Although, I will say that the Matchless was runner up.