10% rule

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by speed12, Mar 25, 2008.

1. speed12

speed12 Member

I posted this over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum, but thought it might be interesting to hear electric players views. This is a total copy of the AGF post, and the one there can be seen here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121886

Hey,

Was flicking through a Hi-Fi magazine the other day and one of the "rules" (its really not a rule, hence the inverted commas!) is that you should spend 10% of your system budget on interconnects, i.e. if you have a £1000 system, then £100 should be spent on cables etc. I've been using this on my Hi-fi system for years, but seeing it in the magazine got me thinking, does this or could this also apply to guitars?

So say you have just bought a £1000 electro-acoustic, using the 10% rule, that should mean that you should then spend £100 on interconnects. So for an electro-acoustic, I would say that would be a 1/4"-1/4", a DI box and an XLR-XLR.

So splitting that down would be say £25 per cable and then a £50 DI box...which seems about right to me.

Say moving up to a £2000 guitar, your 10% would be £200, so splitting that down you'd say have two £40 cables and a £120 DI box. This would get you in to the range of the Radial JDI etc DI's which are obviously very good, so again this would seem to fit pretty well with the instrument.

So yeah, just an observation really, when I change guitar I think I will definitely think somewhere along these lines.

What does anyone else think? Good idea or total nonsense?

2. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

It's a bunch of bunk posted by someone who has too much time on their hands if they're sitting around thinking of stupid "rules" for this kind of stuff. Buy what you need. If a $15 cable does the job, use it.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

The next sumbitch that compared guitar players to hifi audiophile dweebs is gonna feel the sting o' Clarabelle (don't ask).

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Or a bunch of bunk posted by someone with cable to sell.

A

5. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i got a chance to demo some ultra high quality cabling (inst, speaker, power). we A/B'd it against medium grade stuff and crap quality. there wasn't much of an improvement over the medium grade. both the high and medium grade stuff was better than the crap, but it was kind of marginal. strangely--the power cable was the one that made the biggest difference in the sound.

moral to the story--don't buy crap cables, invest a little money in some decent cables, but you probably don't need to break the bank--i'd sink that money into other useless stuff like guitars/amps/pedals.

6. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

The problem with that idea for acoustic guitars is that a Fishman (or similar piezo) sounds the same in a $400 guitar as it does in a $4000 guitar.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My view is that I never have adhered to the 10% rule when it comes to cables and my sound is great. More money spent on cables does not always guarantee they will be better. Just a decent average quality cable that doesn't cost to much usually does the job just fine.
    Best Regards!

8. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Just recently there was a blind test in which audiophiles listened to samples on a stereo with high-end interconnects, and one with interconnects made literally out of wire coathangers.

Most of them couldn't tell the difference.

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Just get good reliable cables with a nice warranty. Lava cable is a good option and if you want to try more expensive cables go for it if you have the money. You might like it or you might not. If you dont, there is always the emporium. I definitely dont have 10% of my budget in cables but I have a lot of gear. The good cables I just bought maybe account for 3-5%