10" Speaker question

steadygarcia

Hey guys, looking for a replacement for a smoked G10-35 speaker in my Marshall 4x10. I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm looking at the Weber British series Blue Pup or Silver Pup, and also at Eminence RedCoat Ramrod. Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions?

GearHeadFred

I've tried a lot of 10's and the closest I've got to the elusive G10L35 is the new Celestion Greenback 10.. I got a decent price on a them in a group purchase through Sonic Emergence in the MFG section of the forum.

itkindaworks

Silver Supporting Member
I've had both the blue and silver pups. At the moment I have 2 blues, a silver and a celestion greenback in a bandmaster reverb 4x10 combo. The greenbacks may be good for the marshall vibe. What head are you running?

itkindaworks

Silver Supporting Member
Forgot to mention also, the WGS veterans are a great celestion clone at a great price. I've had a couple sets of those as well.

steadygarcia

I've had both the blue and silver pups. At the moment I have 2 blues, a silver and a celestion greenback in a bandmaster reverb 4x10 combo. The greenbacks may be good for the marshall vibe. What head are you running?
Mostly a Hiwatt DR103, a 1981. I also have an Ampeg B-25B I like to run through it. But I mostly use it for the Hiwatt. I'm reading good things about the Scumback H75, which come in 30 watt and 75 watt versions. If I get a 75 watt model, does that boost the power handling of my cab at all, given that the other 3 speakers are still 35 watt?

GearHeadFred

No you can't increase the capacity by upgrading only 1 speaker. Power is distributed evenly across all 4 speakers. You are limited to 4 X the LOWEST capacity speaker in the set.

I had a quad of the WGS 10's in an Avatar 410 and didn't like them too much.. I was using them with my Super Reverb head back then.

I am now testing a set of 4 THD 10's (from their warehouse clearance sale) and so far they sound pretty good.

I'm pretty sure Scumback 10's are good too.. But I've only tried their 12's so far.

steadygarcia

No you can't increase the capacity by upgrading only 1 speaker. Power is distributed evenly across all 4 speakers. You are limited to 4 X the LOWEST capacity speaker in the set.

I had a quad of the WGS 10's in an Avatar 410 and didn't like them too much.. I was using them with my Super Reverb head back then.

I am now testing a set of 4 THD 10's (from their warehouse clearance sale) and so far they sound pretty good.

I'm pretty sure Scumback 10's are good too.. But I've only tried their 12's so far.
So there's no point in getting the 75 watt version then? I should stick with the 30? Or does it matter?

steadygarcia

Well, I went ahead and bought the Scumback M-75 10" 30 watt. The $20 off deal was too good to pass up. I've only read good things about this speaker.

GearHeadFred

Please post a followup once you get in mounted and broke in a bit. I'd be curious to see how it blends/mixes with the G1035Ls. Thanks!

steadygarcia

I definitely will. I can't wait to find out myself. Thinking of getting the smoked G1035 re-coned. Any suggestions?

steadygarcia

I definitely will. I can't wait to find out myself. Thinking of getting the smoked G1035 re-coned. Any suggestions?
Ok, I've had the M75 in the cab now for a couple of weeks and I'm happy to report that it sounds great. If anything , I'd say it makes everything a *touch* brighter, but just a touch, and I like the change. In fact, it could be simply my perception and listening too hard for a change. Very happy with my choice!

steadygarcia

i don't know... any ideas? I guess I could have it reconed. Does reconing a speaker bring it back to pretty much 100%?

Trending Topics