10" speaker recommendations

AshyLarry

I have a Fargen Mini Plex MKII that I found a nice 80s Marshall 4x10 (1965B) to go with. It came loaded with WGS G10C and G10C/S and for whatever reason, they do not sound good. It's very honky, ice picky and lacks detail. I've never had a 4x10 or any guitar amp with 10" speakers so I'm not too sure where to go from here. I'm looking to experiment a bit and see what sounds good. Not a ton of direction here, but can anyone recommend some good 10" speakers to try out? I see Creamback 10's get good reviews, and I thought about Weber Silver Bell/Blue Dogs (I have a 2x12 with Weber Black shuck/gray wolfs that sounds huge).

LaXu

I love the Celestion 10" Greenbacks in my Bluetone 4x10, though I believe they might be older UK made models. I feel they are just right because they don't have excessive low end that you then try to cut from the amp but there is still plenty of beef, the midrange is fairly balanced and the highs are not harsh.

4x10s are a very underrated speaker cab format that should be more prominent. Mine is made of paulownia and I can lift it with one hand. Try doing that with any 4x12.

MHG

Those American speakers are obviously not a good match for that amp. Check out the WGS Retro 10". It's a really nice speaker. Much better than the Celestion 10" Greenback imo. I also really like the ET10, but the Retro is my current favorite 10" British speaker.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
The WGS you have are good speakers - but more for American voiced.

Cele 10" greenback and/or the 10" gold. The 10" creamback has more "rounded" smoother top end. A but more lower mid emphasis.
I like the mix of gold and greenback. If you want more cut, consider the Cele G10 Vintage.

AshyLarry

Thanks for the input! Checking out these recommendations now. Interesting someone put American voiced stuff in a Marshall cab, also explains why the cab sounds ok with my Boogie MK3 by comparison.

Here is one that I have had very good luck with, and flies under the radar:
Jensen Jet Electric Lighting 10"
Great for cranked Marshall type tones.

woof*

Find the original celestions that go in that cab.
Also you can’t go wrong with Alessandro ga 10’s

Reactions: WWW
I have a Fargen Mini Plex MKII that I found a nice 80s Marshall 4x10 (1965B) to go with. It came loaded with WGS G10C and G10C/S and for whatever reason, they do not sound good. It's very honky, ice picky and lacks detail. I've never had a 4x10 or any guitar amp with 10" speakers so I'm not too sure where to go from here. I'm looking to experiment a bit and see what sounds good. Not a ton of direction here, but can anyone recommend some good 10" speakers to try out? I see Creamback 10's get good reviews, and I thought about Weber Silver Bell/Blue Dogs (I have a 2x12 with Weber Black shuck/gray wolfs that sounds huge).
Big fan of the Creamback 10 here, though I don't know how you'd like it in a Plexi-style amp. It's definitely got detail, but it's a smoother, darker, more low- and mid-focused speaker. The highs get rolled into the rest of the frequency spectrum in a way I love, but if you want that high-mid Marshall bark, I'm not sure how it would do. On the other hand, it should certainly fix any ice-pick issues.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Celestion G10 Golds are quite nice. Definitely add them to your list if you are thinking of the Weber Blue/Silver.

Cele 10" greenback and/or the 10" gold. The 10" creamback has more "rounded" smoother top end. A but more lower mid emphasis.
I like the mix of gold and greenback. If you want more cut, consider the Cele G10 Vintage.
Where would you say the Gold sits in relation to the Green and the Cream?

Zonk

Somebody recently had a 1965 cab in the emporium with that greenback/gold combination of speakers, looked like a winner, whoever purchased it got a good deal.

If anyone is looking I saw 2 Marshall 1965 cabs (one A and one B) in the Tucson Guitar Center (Broadway store) this morning. Priced $499 each. I have no money. So I had to walk away.

DonP

If anyone is looking I saw 2 Marshall 1965 cabs (one A and one B) in the Tucson Guitar Center (Broadway store) this morning. Priced $499 each. I have no money. So I had to walk away.
Damn. I almost bought a 1965 on GC used, until I called them and said they were MG412's. WTF?

I ended up getting a dirt cheap Hartke GH410a cab, and it sounds great. No idea of what "Celestion" speakers are in it. I have plenty of 10"s to replace them, but I don't see the need to. Using this cab with a DSL1HR and a 2525H (not at the same time LOL!).

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Where would you say the Gold sits in relation to the Green and the Cream?
Gold is more in your face than the green and has more presence than the cream. 10" gold does not sound like the 12" IMHO.
I could see using the 10" gold in many applications. It mixes well with all the other cele 10s I have as well.

Trending Topics