10" Speaker Revelation: Hallelujah!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, Dec 1, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

ok,

i'm an unabashed bass player. and in my bass playing world, only 10" speakers will do. why? cause they have the maxium punch and authority. most other larger speakers while equally loud, just dont have that slam, and feel as slow and unresponsive as a semi truck. smaller speaker = faster quicker response.

a few days ago, i thought, "does this translate to guitar?" up until then, i never really gave it much thought, and sorta just fell in line w/ "guitar players use 12" speakers. period." for a time, i actually thought the opposite, thinking 10" guitar speakers were more pillowy and unfocused vs. the usual 12" counterpart. but in my unofficial experiment, the answer became clearly a "hell yea"!

sooo, while at a local GC, i had a chance to compare among other things, a Fender reissue '59 bassman, and its cousing, the low power tweed twin. sure, their topographies are different, but for the sake of argument, they do share about the same wattage class. bassman's being about 50 watts, LPTT's about 40 watts.

at any rate, the real difference came when doing albert king like fingerplucks. the bassman literally barked right back into my chest! made the LPTT seem soft and pillowy in comparison. digging in harder w/ the bassman really felt that much more dynamic and alive. the differences were even more apparent when i tried out a Twin Reverb vs. the Super Reverb. no doubt, the SR just slammed.

course, this was under the controlled environs of my local GC. i've got a few gigs coming up in the next few weeks, and i'll be rotating btwn my Tone Tubby loaded Dr. Z 2x10 cab, and my usually gigging 1x12 loaded a HempE.

but i'm thinking that the 10" loaded cab will fare better under the louder more din heavy stage of the 9 piece pop/r&b/gospel act i've been backing.

anyone agree, disagree? am i hearing things?

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Interesting. I dig Classic Lead 80's for much the same reasons as you give for preferring 10's. I should try some 10's in an amp or cab of mine!

3. HHB

HHB Member

I love 10's, my main cab is a Bogner open back 410 w/ Kendrick blk frames, an amazing cab, get some 10's and don't look back!

4. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I use 2 Marshall 4x10's with a Marshall Artist head, and couldn't be happier with the results for the same reasons you mention above. I dial in some bass boost with my eq pedal and I'm chuffed.

Mark

5. Roe

Roe Member

I love 10" speakers if they have enough bass. I love the unforgiving, fast attack. The neck PU almost feels and sounds like a bridge PU :dude

6. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I own 3 guitar amps and none of them have 12's.

Vox Pathfinder has an 8" speaker, but I run it through a 1-15" extension cab [old PV Classic cab].

PV Delta Blues - 1-15".

Dr. Z Maz Jr. - 2-10" speakers.

love 'em all!

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

I can barely wait. I have a 2x10 J Design almost here and I have two Weber alnico Blue Pups coming to load it with.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I totally agree. My new 10's sound freaking huge... can't wait to get a new cabinet made with them inside.

9. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

+1 on the 10's ...

I currently have a TruTone 4x10 for my Matchless HC-30. It's loaded with some OLD Celestion Vintage 10"s, and it sounds great!

I have a ValveTech 22 watt combo loaded with a pair of Kendrick Blackframe 10's, and it couldn't be better.

I have a Fender Custom Vibrolux loaded with a pair of Jensen P10R's and it, too, sounds great!

I've always preferred 10's for the reasons stated. I like tight, focused tone, and the 10's seem to deliver that in spades.

However, I have a Hayseed 30 head coming and I'm sure that it will get hooked to a pair of Celesion Blues ... some things just gotta be :)

10. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I love the percussive nature of a 10". With pick attack being a huge part of my playing style and tone, the percussive nature of a good 10" speaker makes it my favorite guitar speaker by far.

11. OOG

OOG Member

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

Odd. the Bassman has one rectifier tube so it should have SLOWER response than the Twin with it's 2 rectifier tubes.

Even though they are rated at 50 and 40 watts, they should both be about the same, maybe 45. The topologies are very similar.

Excellent description. Yes 10's slam that sound at you. I saw Robben Ford last week with a Super and the punch, especally clean, was amazing.

I've been playing mostly with a single speaker lately, meaning for the past 30 years, 10's and 12's both. I just now ordered one of the Weber Super copy kits. With a few upgrades I'm hoping to get that "Bark" you're describing.

Good discussion.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

nice!!

i've been sooo stoked about 10" speakers, i was sorta disappointed to find that not many manufacturers take 10" speakers seriously. more like an afterthought to the usual 12" line.

sooooo, cant wait to hear what you got cookin'! :cool: :dude

14. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I understand, believe me.

I'm the guy who wants to know if every amp under the sun is available with a 4X10 cab. :rolleyes: And if not, can you make one for me? etc.:D

One of the best parts about owning a 4X10 combo is letting another player, who isn't used to anything but 1X12 and 2X12 cabs, plug into my amp and then watching the grin split their face from ear to ear.

Tens are where it's at for me--though an open back 2X12 has it's own thing which I also dig.

Has anyone used one amp to drive four 10s and two 12s at the same time?
    (just wondering)

15. HHB

HHB Member

I usually use a boogie MKI reisue head, but after reading this thread I'm gonna try the silverface deluxe reverb through my Bogner this weekend to get the 12 /10 interaction going, should be awesome, tone report to follow

16. Scumback Speakers

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I recently posted a thread about converting my2x10 cab into a 12/10 config. I thought I'd give the dual 10s one more try before commencing.

I was looking for a more classic sound after trying my JTM45 clone through a G12H30, it just rocked! I bought a Celestion G10S-50 and it's paired up with an Emi Legend 105 in my cab now.

Oh my!! It's exactly what I was looking for. Crisp, clean, tight bass, really sweet mids. The JTM45 just sings with this combo. These two speakers seem made for one another. I'm in no hurry to do a 12/10 conversion now!

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

19. Roe

Roe Member

Somebody should start to make marshall style 4x10 and 8x10 cabs with a three piece back (so you can get a open and a closed back). Everyone is just making marshall type cabs with 12" speakers.

20. Scumback Speakers

Agreed, Roe, and way ahead of you. I'll be putting together a cab with an adjustable back in a 4x10 configuration next.