10" speaker suggestion for brown Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crazyquilt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I love this little amp, and it needs me to show it some love, because I think its 46 year old speaker is kinda tired and needs to be taken out.

What would you sages recommend as a replacement? I've heard good things about the Emi Copperheads & Ragin' Cajun, but I've also had great luck with Webers, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I think the Emi Copperhead would be an excellent choice.

3. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I've got an EMI Rajun Cajun in a BF Princeton I really like.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I like the Scumback SA10M I have in my 1965 Princeton...works like a charm,no ice pick highs.

5. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I have the exact same amp and the same situation (my speaker is still great, but I'm preserving it for originality). I bought a Ragin' Cajun and I like it already and it's not even fully broken in. It's not as clean and clear as the original Jensen, but it has a little bigger bottom end, slightly darker. It breaks up nicely and I'm not worried about messing it up. Overall a great speaker. (I also have one in my Pro Jr.) (Really, it's killing me not to use that beautiful original speaker, but I paid a pretty penny for the amp, and don't want to devalue it. Maybe I should buy another original Jensen and play the crap out of that one!)

That said, I have no plans to change the Ragin' Cajun anytime soon. One thing I do think about, though, is the Jensen RI's. I have them in my blackfaced Vibrolux Reverb and they're wonderful. I don't know why they don't get better reviews. I might try one in the Princeton some day. It'd be nice to see how the RI compares to the original.

The problem with speakers is that you can't demo them. Like tires. You're driving blind. (Or playing deaf?:D) Once you bought them, they're yours.