10" speaker that sounds like a 12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mds, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mds

mds Member

Hey guys,

What 10" speakers out there crank out the volume and low end of a 12"?

Mike

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Older JBL and Electro Voice speakers fit that category. Many times it is more about the cab than the speaker though. People generally put smaller speakers in smaller cabs and small cabs limit the bass feel of size. I have a Celestion G10S-50 in a large, detuned cab and it sounds almost as big as a 2 X 12" cab but definitely bigger and bassier than most 1 X 12" cabs.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Eminence's new high power 10's sound huge...The Rajun Cajun has tons of lows in an open back cab

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Eminence Legend 105, among others...

5. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I agree. I have a Rajin Cajun in one Princeton and a G12H30 in another. Other than the expected tonal differences you wouldn't know that one was a 12 and the other a 10.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

There is not really that much of an inherent difference between 10" and 12" speakers. There are certainly some 10" speakers that have more bass and loudness than the average 12" speaker. Whether you are talking about 10", 12" or 15" speakers, they are all fully capable or producing all the guitar frequencies. If you chose good speakers and cabs I am sure that most by far could tell which size speaker you were using. I have a single detuned 10" cab that is very loud and has amazing bass. I made another detuned cab that had a JBL D130 speaker and it had clear and bright highs.

7. mds

mds Member

Interesting....part of why I ask is because I use octave pedals a fair amount and need something that can really handle some low notes. I'm putting together a super small/portable rig for a tour and need everything I can get from it in terms of tone, volume, etc....I'm sure there are tons of threads on it, but how do the various Eminence speakers compare to each other? They have very little in terms of description on their website...

8. Tomo

Tomo Member

I like those too.

And the RC.

Tomo

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think it is impossible to have, "a super small/portable rig", "that can really handle some low notes". Of course that depends on just how small and low you are talking about. Again, how a speker/cab combination handles low notes is more a function of the cab than the speaker. To get the best, meaning flattest response of the lowest frequencies, you need a large and well designed cab. You can take a fairly ordinary speaker and produce some good low bass in that type of cab and you can get the best speaker on the planet, put it in a small cab and have very poor and limited bass. Long story short, in my experience the best bass you can get out of a 10" speaker is from a single detuned 10" speaker cab. It measures 24" tall X 16" wide X 16" deep. I made one and felt it was too bassy and cut down the depth dimension to 14" and it still has more bass than I need. If that is too big, you might be able to find a Thiele design cab for a 10" speaker. It won't have the bass of a detuned cab but it would be impressive for a single 10" "super small/portable rig".

10. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I've heard from a reliable source that a ToneQuest review of the Jensen Neo speakers found that there was less difference than usual between the 10" and 12" versions of the Neo. I've tried both and would agree that they sound very similar, delivering the tone of the amp with little coloration in both cases.

11. ptecat

ptecat Member

Ah... would a Legend 105 and Ragin Cajun sound good together?

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yes, they do. I ran that combo for a while. It's a nice clear, Fender-style sound, with the Cajun adding a little attitude :D

13. mds

mds Member

Thanks, guys...I'll have to give a couple a try...I'm getting a Weber Silver 10 tomorrow...we'll see how that goes...

14. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

IMO hemp coned speakers have similar sound/response to a speaker one size up. IE - a 10 sounds like a 12; a 12 like a 15....

15. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

The tone tubby ceramic 10 has a deep, rich bass tone with stronger mids then most 10's. A warm sounding tone and LOUD.

Rick