• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

10" Speaker that would pair well with an ethos amp?

jswilliams

Silver Supporting Member
Any suggestions? The custom tone site suggests: "Celestion G1265, EV12s, and Eminence RW" but I only have a 10" cab, and wouldn't want to change to a 12. Are there 10" versions of those speakers? I currently have a 10" greenback and alnico gold, should I just stick with one of those? I am waiting on the ethos clean amp but don't have it yet.

joevacc

The two Celestion's are probably both going to be great. Maybe one will shine over the other but either will be good I'm sure.

I have a 2x10 cabinet with Celestion Golds in it and although I do not have an Ethos, when I am doing the "D" thing with my pedals I really dig them. The mids are not as pronounced as much as other Celestion's I've heard. I am biased, G10's are my favorite speakers.

Good luck,

garytube

Not sure about pairing with the Ethos, but Jensen Jet 10" Tornado could be another option. I have a couple and think they are great! In my limited comparisons, I think I like them better than my 10" greenbacks.

billyguitar

Mind the 8 ohm lower limit on the Ethos amp. I don't know what happens to it at 4 ohms but I wouldn't try it. I've only gigged my Ethos amp one time, that was without drums or piano. It sounded nice but squeaky clean decibels were not as much as I wanted. I did like that it sounded very tube-like when cranked on the clean channel. There is quite a bit more output if you don't mind clipping the clean channel and of course on the distortion channel. I recommend taking a picture of the knobs when you get to sounds you like so you can easily set it up next time. I used it through a small closed back cabinet with a Gauss 10" speaker with the aluminum dome replaced with a paper one. I think a good efficient 12" speaker would be better. I was also thinking of using the line out at the same time and into an Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 and then into a second speaker.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Mind the 8 ohm lower limit on the Ethos amp. I don't know what happens to it at 4 ohms but I wouldn't try it. I've only gigged my Ethos amp one time, that was without drums or piano. It sounded nice but squeaky clean decibels were not as much as I wanted. I did like that it sounded very tube-like when cranked on the clean channel. There is quite a bit more output if you don't mind clipping the clean channel and of course on the distortion channel. I recommend taking a picture of the knobs when you get to sounds you like so you can easily set it up next time. I used it through a small closed back cabinet with a Gauss 10" speaker with the aluminum dome replaced with a paper one. I think a good efficient 12" speaker would be better. I was also thinking of using the line out at the same time and into an Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 and then into a second speaker.
I used to run Gauss 12's.. great sounding speakers, but highly inefficient, more so than any speaker I've ever owned

billyguitar

I used to run Gauss 12's.. great sounding speakers, but highly inefficient, more so than any speaker I've ever owned
They were made for high power handling and I don't know about efficiency but I don't doubt what you're saying. It did sound great, especially with the paper dome. I really like the sound of the clean channel on the Ethos amp. The only thing it lacks, in comparison to a tube amp, is sag.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom