10 watt tweed breakup??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpfeiff, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

So here's my problem: I LOVE the sound I get from my 50's 5 watt tweed Princeton dimed, but it's not loud enough to gig with, nor do I want to take it into smoky bars anyway. A 15 watt Blues Junior has too much balls for the gigs I do--can't get it past 3 without it being too loud, so no real tube breakup. Not a fan of attenuators. DO I need to spend $1500 on a vintage Harvard, or is there something out there that'll give me tweed style tube breakup at more than bedroom but less then ear-splitting volume??

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

That's why we all have Tweed Deluxes. 12watts RMS. None of the harsh ear fatigue of a Blues Jr.

Otherwise, I couldn't imagine paying $1500 for a vintage Harvard, one can be built for less than 1/2 of that.

3. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Would that be vintage, or is there an RI Tweed Deluxe that fits this bill??

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

There are a LOT of Tweed Deluxe clone makers out there. However you likely won't get a tweed deluxe up higher than about 3 on the volume knob either, but it will be a little more ratty sounding (in a good way) than a BJ.

5. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

OK--I see where Fender sells a 57 RI Tweed Deluxe, but the thing goes for $1800!! Guess I'll have to look into the clones. Just seems like everyone jumps from 5 watts up to 15 or 20...

6. David Myka

David Myka Gold Supporting Member

I have a Blues Jr and it is mostly too loud for what I do as well. It also has a harsh brittle edge that is tiring after a while. I wanted to find something that would be a bit warmer and able to swap tubes for different wattages. I ordered a Siegmund Midnight Special and couldn't have been more happy with my choice. There is not a bad note with this amp and even the highs are warm and rich. I ordered it with an EL37 which will put out about 14 watts and has breakup at about 1/2 volume. But with different tubes you can get the 10 watts you need for ealrier breakup.

They are a little more than you want to spend but Chris has one on his site for less than full price (scroll down to the red cab amp):
    http://www.siegmundguitars.com/pricing.html

There is another for sale on the forum:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=368472

This is the first amp the I have ever owned that my girlfriend said she could listen to all day long. That's saying something!

~David

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You can find a Deluxe for several hundred less than a Fender. Clark, SDG Vintage, Richter and many others build them for less than a grand.

Good luck in your search.

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

Sara @ Richter Amplification has a sale on new Tweed Deluxe clones right now. $850 and FREE shipping to lower 48. :AOK

9. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

What speaker are you using with your princeton? A more efficient speaker might do the trick.

10. wyatt

wyatt Member

5 watts to 20 watts is a nice natural progression:); the average rule of thumb is 100 watts is twice the volume as 20 watts which is twice the volume as 5 watts which is twice the volume as 1 watt. But a bigger difference is usually created by speaker options.

11. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

I'll have to take a look to be sure, but I believe it is the original Jensen speaker--had to have it reconed a few months back.

12. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

But it is described as a clean amp??? I'm going for tube distortion...

13. bynt

bynt Member

"Not neccesarily tweed... but, useable" (supposed to be sung to Hendrix)

Valve Jr through a 2x12 maybe? I really dig the sound of that little guy and it's huge through a 2x12.

Or check this guy out. http://www.collinsamps.com/

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Also consider a Gries 5. It's in a larger cab than an old tweed Princeton with a 12" speaker and you'll get far more volume from it.

It also has a master control and the gain dials out the tone stack taking you into tweed territory.

www.griesamps.com

15. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Member

As an in-between measure, you can get a Champ-ish single-ended one-output-tube amp that takes a 6L6 instead of a 6V6 from any of several vendors. I should think a properly biased single 6L6 into an efficient 12" speaker will produce a lot more clean headroom and ultimate loudness than a 6V6 into a smaller speaker. For instance, the Richter RS5.8 will produce around 8 watts with a 6L6 running at 330v or so.

Or do I misunderstand how power and loudness works in the real world?

16. David Myka

David Myka Gold Supporting Member

That's the beauty of this amp (and other low wattage amps), it is so easy to push the power tubes into full saturation. The Midnight Special is a great clean amp but the last half of the volume knob opens up the power amp and pushes you into full-on tube distortion at low volumes. It is gritty and bluesy when you want it just like a tube amp should be.

~David

17. Dale

Dale Member

I love mine.

18. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

19. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

I also noticed a big jump in wattage for guitar amps ... 5 watts 6V6 SE to 12 watts 6V6 push-pull.

After quite a bit of searching, I found a 7 watt amp from two 12A7 tubes, which was in a Heathkit A7E. It sounds great!

[​IMG]
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/Retro.html

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OK, if the sound of the Princeton is what you're after, you're not really going to get it from a Deluxe because that's a push-pull amp and your Princeton is single ended. So, what can you use that'll be single ended and move up from 5w? There's a very good review of the possibilities in Vintage Guitar from about a year ago however I'll cut to the chase here. The winner is the Emery Superbaby: it's light, it's 8w, has really useful EQ (and a switch to take the EQ out of the circuit if you need more gain). It can sound from vintage clean (5U4 rectifier, 12AT7, RCA 6L6) to pretty darn high gain (5y3, 12AX7, 6V6 or Yellowjacket). If you need more levels of gain in a single nite, just switch tubes! The best part? It's the cheapest single ended amp at $599 from the manufacturer.

If that isn't enough volume, I know that Kendrick builds a stereo version of his single ended amp, that puts out 4-15w (single output from a 6V6 to dual outputs from 6V6s).