< 10 watts with master volume +distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by whitehall, Nov 3, 2005.

1. whitehall

whitehall Member

This seems to be my grail amp. 10 watts or less, COMBO. master volume, great distortion. No pedals, hotplates, etc. Just a house friendly tube combo with semi EVH tone to plug into. Even a sub 5 watt would be okay, just has to be a combo, no Carr Mercury or Mini Z.-- I thought the mini Z was a POS.

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I'm thinking it's probably worth it to find a good custom amp builder and have have him make one to your specs, or find one who will customize one of his designs to fit your needs. That's what I am thinking. Something I can jam with and use at home (90% of my playing). It will cost, but you get what you want.

P.S. I like the specs of the Carr Mercury - notably the attenuating circuit - costs an arm and part of a leg though. But I plan on looking for something around Toronto where I don't have to deal with out of country and duty and taxes, etc. ad nauseum

3. whitehall

whitehall Member

The Mercury is very very close to what I want. I just don't want to spend quite that much for a bedroom amp. I am hoping to find something at a grand or less.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traynor YCV20WR. It's 15 watts, but sounds good at lower volumes.

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I agree, mostly. I like the clean channel but I don't like the crunch channel at all. I'm using a Direct Drive into the clean channel for my crunch with this amp. The clean channel loves OD pedals.

Also, you can really cut the volume down on YCV20 by replacing the 12AX7 preamp tube in V1 with a 12AU7. I did that with mine and it allows you to crank the master much higher and still maintain bedroom volume.

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

I always see these amps but have never played one. The 12au7 is a great tip, thanks. I'll have to see if I can hunt up some online clips to hear the distortion.

7. CNP

CNP Member

I'm wondering if you might be just as happy with a non-master volume tube amp and a great distortion pedal. I had a Carr Mercury, but didn't like the extremely attenuated tones any better than my 35 watt tube amp with a good overdrive or distortion box (in my case, various Keeley's and a Tonebone Classic). Sold the Mercury/don't miss it.

8. New Angel

New Angel Guest

9. baald

baald Member

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I agree with CNP's suggestion. You aren't going to be able to get power amp overdrive at a low volume (at least not without an attenuator, which you say that you don't want). That leaves you with preamp or pedal distortion. There are lots of pedals on the market that seek to give Marhall tone in a box, such as the Tonebone pedals. One of those combined with a small, clean amp would be a great home solution for quiet EVH tones.

Bryan

11. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Fargen Miniplex

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How about the Emery Spotlight? 1X8 combo, 5w, depending on tube choice goes from clean to pretty stout overdrive. It is single ended so it's never going to sound exactly like a Plexi or a Twin but it sounds darn good...

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

I'll look at one of those Drbob. I'm trying to keep it "organic" just a guitar plugged into an amp. I've owned a ton of house amps, some would call it a sickness, I prefer the word hobby . The only house amp I've ever kept is the TM10. So I guess I'm looking for a tube amp that sounds like a TM10. Pretty strange I know. The present line up of guitars are all humbuckers. So the amp need not sound good with single coils.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Cornford "Carrera"

Has all you listed, I think.

Best, Pete.

15. Bryan T

I'm not familiar with the Carrera, but the Harlequin that I played last year had a great lower volume distorted sound. He might really dig one of their amps.

Bryan

Edit - I just looked up the Carrera and it looks really cool! It has a more versatile tone stack than the Harlequin, reverb, plus it gives you the opportunity to use lots of different tube types. GAS!

16. tuoti

tuoti Member

Ditto the Emery Sound recommendation. I've got a microbaby and I just finished jamming some AC/DC Hells Bells (Angus' part) right here in my living room (kids and wife asleep) and it sounded great. Granted I play through a 2x12 cab with a Weber Blue Dog and a Weber 1230-55, but you can buy it from Emery as a combo too.

Stick a nice 12AX7 preamp and a nice EL84 w/yellowjacket in and it rocks pretty hard. I had to back off quite a bit to match Angus' distortion so it can get heavier, should you so desire. The flip side is swap a few tubes (which is fun to do anyway) and the cleans are outstanding. This is the PERFECT home and studio amp and they're reasonable (compared to Carrs, anyway).

17. sage97

sage97 Member

Is this available here in the States. Anybody got any sound clips yet?

18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'd have to suggest a small combo amp, 8" or 10" speaker, and something that could get you a nice OD tone at low volume. My buddy does it with an OCD and his old Fender Blackface Pro, but I imagine any small Fender combo would work as well. Get a Blues Jr. and an OCD, that should be under $600 or so, right?

19. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

+1 I had a (rare) 2x12 combo. Although it's rated at 12 watts.

20. Bryan T

I don't know if the Carrera is available in the U.S. I saw a blurb on one website that menitoned they were having some issues that slowed production. I haven't heard any mp3s either.

Bryan