100k logarithm pot instead of 25k log?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pmuhammad, Feb 10, 2012.

1. pmuhammad

pmuhammad Member

friends,

I am currently in the process of trying to replace the potentialmeter in my trem peddal, but, i dont have a 25k pot in my possession so i am curious how using a 100k log pot would change the sound of my peddal.

it is the volume knob on the peddal

i appreciate any help!

2. pmuhammad

pmuhammad Member

3. standingzero

standingzero Member

Well it should work, you will just reach unity volume later on in the sweep, I imagine. It shouldn't affect the tone, per say. Give it a try and if it doesn't work buy one from Mammoth or Smallbear

4. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

which pedal is it? it depends on the circuit, how the volume control is implemented. what "standigzero" said would only apply if the volume control was wired like a variable resistor.

If it's wired as a voltage divider (like in a Fuzz Face and many other pedals), rather than changing the top volume or the volume sweep, it would affect the cut off frequency of the output, hence making the effect darker around the sweep, except when the volume is full up (like when you have a fuzz face and change out the volume for a 100k it gets brighter)

5. pmuhammad

pmuhammad Member

it is an EA tremolo pedal

thank you

6. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

this one (modified version by runoffgroove) has a 100k pot for the volume. but most other values are different, too. So it's hard to say. It's a voltage divider like on a fuzz face, where changing the vol pot to a higher value makes it a bit darker (warmer?) throughout the rotation while being exactly the same with the volume maxed (which you'd probably never do), but the overall volume on the sweep is the same, i.e. unity is at the same spot. Should be similar here, although i have not built that circuit. Try it, maybe you like it.

7. pmuhammad

pmuhammad Member

ok i will try it

thanks!!