100K volume pot on Tom Anderson DT classic?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Masotti Guy, May 31, 2005.

1. Masotti Guy

Masotti Guy Member

Hi everyone, new user here , this board is freakin' rockin'! :dude
    :)

I bought my Anderson Drop Top Classic in 2000 , used, from a shop here in Italy, serial n° is 10-20-93P, while opening her with my technician for a check in the swticheroo I discovered that the volume pot is 100Kohm
    Also the outputs of the pickups are very low, 7,8Kohm for the bridge HN2+, and 3,3 for the single coils SL1 and SL1R.

In fact the problem is that the guitar is lacking certain "oumph" and there is a huge loss of highs: in particular when lowering the volume pot, the sound does not become very clear and clean with tube amps, while instead on another guitar I have with a seymour duncan JB at the bridge this happens, even if this PU should be hotter.

I already sticked an email to Roy at Anderson (great support) but today everyone is in vacation, so anybody in the meantime can help me?

Are not this values very strange? Maybe the pot has been replaced wrongly? or is it a correct value for switcheroo system?
    Thx for help, guys!

:)

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I would point out that using "Tom Anderson" as your username is a little on the questionable side. I'm sure you meant no harm, but I don't think it's very cool.

Cheers,
    Jerrod

3. Masotti Guy

Masotti Guy Member

Hi Jerrod

I appreciate your comment.
    Maybe you are right, it's not very cool but this is the nickname I'm using since years in all the forums on the net (not only related to guitars)just because I love Anderson guitars, my nickname is of course referred to the guitar brand and not to the man, neither I want to appear as Mr Tom Anderson ;)

In short term, this nickname is "part of me", if Mr Anderson will complain me about this I will change it in a hearthbeat of course.

4. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Best of luck here!

I agree that using the name Tom Anderson is at the least a little confusing. Maybe you should consider changing it. Your choice of course, but that is my opinion.

:cool:

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

However, you may NOT change your username to "Jon Silberman."

:D

6. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

I placed Fralin single coils in my Anderson Classic 10 ten years ago and they sound great. As far as humbuckers, Fralin and WCR's are awesome.

:cool:

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

BTW, TA - you may enjoy the Tom Anderson forum (http://www.andersonforum.com/)
    Tom & Roy post there almost every day.

I would strongly urge you to use another name there, however.

8. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Tom uses 500k audio taper pots in everything now. Can't speak to what was the deal in 1993, but 100K is suspect in my book. Certainly explains your lack of highs. The higher the pot value, the more high frequencies that come through.

Single coils want to see a 250k pot, so Tom designed the Vintage Voicing circuit so that you can use the 500k pot with single coils. You should make sure that is on there when you replace the pots.

In terms of the ohm ratings for the pickups, here is what Tom had to say on the Anderson forum...

"they are fairly meaningless in the H series, the magnet structure is totally different. the HO's use a traditional structure, so they are a bit more"normal". you still have to be sure you are comparing apples to apples. the HO's have way more steel in them than a real paf, and the bobbin size is a bit different, so dc resistance is not a direct crossover"

9. John Bell

John Bell Member

500k pots with those pickups and a 680pf cap with 220k resistor across the hot legs of the volume pot will take care of your problem.

10. Masotti Guy

Masotti Guy Member

Thanks to every1 for the answers!

In the meantime Roy have answered me, confirming the fact that both tone and volume pots should be 500K, and that 100K will "destroy output and clarity" :( , the same that I will do to my liuther who opened the guitar and did not tell me anything, I will destroy him with my hands :mad: :mad:
    Tomorrow I wll replace the pot.

Anyway, he told me also that the output values of the PU's are too low, so he refered also to single coils and not only to the HN2+.
    Do you think this can be related in some way to the wrong volume pot, or are they two different issues?
    Probabily I will post the same issue on the Anderson forum soon..

Really thanks!! :D