100W Head + attenuator -> 100W cab = bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TommiK, Jan 23, 2012.

1. TommiK

TommiK Member

I'm currently kicking the tires on a Fryette Sig:X that I could get a pretty good deal on. I love the sound and the flexibility of that amp, but unfortunately I can't afford both the head and a new cab. Problem is, my current cab is a 2x12 with two 50W Eminences and the Sig is a 100W head.

I know one can easily blow the speakers in a 100W cab with a 100W tube head, but what if I don't crank the thing and run an attenuator in between? I already own a Hotplate that I use with my current amp.

Should I just skip the Sig or mount the cab with some higher wattage speakers?

2. DCH

DCH Supporting Member

No promises, but if you are knocking off -6 dB or so, you should be fine, provided you aren't running the amp totally wide open (on "10") the entire time, too.

With amps like that, most players keep the master volume down somewhat, and that genuinely cuts output power, so even without an attenuator if the MV is down to 50% or something, you should be putting out well short of 100 watts. The bigger danger is usually with vintage-style amps without master volumes, where people crank the volume to achieve that classic overdrive tone. With most modern, high-gain amps, unless you're playing on a very large stage, you are unlikely to run the master vol on any channel at full, and probably won't crank that "clean" channel too high either.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

You should be fine as long as you know not to push the thing hard ("crank it").

4. TommiK

TommiK Member

Thanks guys, I figured as much, but it never hurts to be a bit paranoid when it comes to these thinks.

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

You'll likely be just fine. There's a lot of misinformation regarding thermal power handling (wattage) out there. The likelihood that you'll blow the speakers in a 100W cab with a 100W tube head is extremely low, even if you're running it full bore.

Forget the attenuator, unless you're looking at needing much lower volumes, in which case you probably shouldn't be looking at that amp anyway <G>.

6. TommiK

TommiK Member

Cool, or maybe not so cool, if you ask my bank account. :p

And yeah, the Sig is loud, but I like loud.

My current Deliverance isn't exactly volume challenged. Sometimes the attenuator just gives me a bit more options when I'm being told to turn down.

7. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I don't know why everyone is freaking out. With an Attenuator @ -3db you are pulling the power the speakers see down by better than 40%. @ -6 you are in the 35 watts range.

Wail away.

8. TommiK

TommiK Member

Ha! I'm feeling a bit like an idiot right now. I don't know why I didn't think of it that way. I mean, I know how to calculate decibels, for some reason I just didn't. :bonk

9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

One person on this forum (David Torn) has been using a pair of Celestion Alnico Blue 15W (total 30 watts) with a Sig X and a Hot Plate for years. I have been using mine with a 100 watt cab for years.
    I often use my Hot Plate with my Sig X because the poweramp is a big part of the voice of this amp. Pushing the clean channel into overdrive is one of my favorite sounds.
    Ask Fryette if you are still worried ?.... You should be fine without the attenuator would be my guess ?