100w oversized 2x12 speaker suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by i51423, Sep 13, 2006.

1. i51423

i51423 Member

Hey, guys. I apologize if this thread has been done a million times.

I'm looking to pick up an Avatar oversized 2x12 in the next few weeks. I searched through a bunch of 2x12 suggestion threads, but most were for 50 watts and lower. I'm going to running a Carvin X100B through it. So I'm stuck at 100 watts.

I'll be playing rock/indie/emo/whatever you want to call it. A bit more on the chill side of things. I'd just like to get a cab that sounds big and full. The previous cabs I owned were a Behringer 4x12 and a Jackson 4x12 with Celestion G12M-70s. The Behringer had a decent bite, but it was lacking low end. The Jackson sounded alright, but it just wasn't right. Those cabs have since been destroyed. Two speakers went in the Behringer and two speakers got ripped in the Jackson. I move the good Behris over to the Jackson and put them in an X setup, but it seems that something's still blown. So that cab is out of the running. I've been borrowing a friends Mesa vertical 2x12 for a couple weeks. It sounds decent.. but it doesn't sound "huge" to me.

An open-back cab certainly intriques me has it seems like they fill the room with sound instead of just projecting it. The loss of low end seems like ti could kill my dreams of a huge sounding cab. Hmm.

Do you guys have any suggestions for just a great-sounding all around speaker combo rated at 100+ watts? It will be mainly for rockish stuff. The gain maker currently is a Fulltone Fulldrive II, so it won't be a "high gain" setup. If you have any suggestions on open-back vs. closed-back, I'd like to hear them, too.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have no brand preferences at all.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I would stick with more of a closed back cab. Or get the option to partially open the back.

Seems like you're asking for speakers more than anything. There are some nice selections from Eminence that would fit your bill (the Private Jack comes to mind).

Celestion has probably only the bigfoot-like Celestion Gold that might fit this. Maybe the g12-65 which is supposed to be a higher wattage Greenback.

Lastly, I'd look at the Hellatone 60, which is a worn-in version of a Vintage 30. Apparently less spikey and brain-drill as the normal ones.

Good luck.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I run a 100 watt head, through a Lopo Line 2 X 10 closed back cabinet, with Eminence Legend 10516's. This gives me an 8 ohm cabinet, rated at 150 watts. I switched to this set-up, after a neck injury. I sold my 4 X 10 cabinet, to a freind, who uses a 100 watt Carvin. The 4 X 10 cabinet, is larger and rated at 120 watts, at 16 ohms.

I normally used 1 X 12 open back combos. The closed back of the 2 X 10 cabinet, retains a solid bottom end. I was also considering a closed back 2 X 12 cabinet, with neodymium speakers (like Jensens or Lil' Texas's). Again the closed back would help produce more low end, out of a speaker of this type.

I like open back cabinets, but as you use a higher wattage amp, the closed back cabinets seem to match up better.

4. i51423

i51423 Member

Eeeesh. The Gold is selling for $280. I wouldn't be able to afford that, as much as I'd like to.

Does anyone happen to have a rundown of what all the Eminence speakers are similar to? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've recntly swapped out most of my Celestions for Eminence Tonkers...it was kind of like taking the speaker factor away. The Tonkers don't add much...just a big, full representation of your amp. Two of them run in parallel would be a nice 300 watts, which would make for some good headroom.

Some of the indie stuff, though....tele-sounding stuff....relies on speaker breakup...in which case maybe some Celestion lead 80's, or Eminence Governors. The governors are a half-powered version of the Tonker.

6. i51423

i51423 Member

I'm super interested in trying out some Eminence speakers because of the great responses about them.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Tonkers, Governers, or the Hellatone 60/60Ls.

How similar are the Helltones to the Tonkers/Governers?

7. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

THD 212 with G12-65's

Breakup when you dig HARD and good thick cleans when you need it. Also, they can take a beating from them crazy effects kids are using these days. I push mine hard with 50 watts and have never had the thing fart out on me.

-JA

8. i51423

i51423 Member

I was looking more for actual speaker suggestions. I'm pretty set on getting an oversized Avatar 2x12. It's much more in my price range than the THD. I might be cheap and just get a standard Avatar, though.

9. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Eminence Gov or Man O War. Govenors are 75W speakers and the Man O War is 120W. One of each would probably work out just right.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Whaaaa? Every open back I've ever had has produced MORE bottom end than any closed back. Perhaps you think a closed back has more bottom because of the mid boost, but that's not bottom...that's mid!

11. i51423

i51423 Member

I assumed it was low end because of what other people have said. You've got me verrry interested in an open-back now. I mean, I was always very interested, but moreso now.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Right now, I'm leaning towards an open-back Premier Vintage 212 with either Eminence Governers or some Hellatone 60/60Ls.

I waiting on a check in the mail. Anyone happen to have experience with both the Helltones(or a super broken in V30) and the Governers that could compare?

I think I want the governers, but that's an extra $40 for special ordering them.

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with the Tonkers..The Hellatone 60's with a Carvin head will take your head off

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

The oversized Avatar open back with Hellatone 60L's (NOT the regular 60's) is one of the best cabinets I've ever heard. It has more or as much bottom as EVERY 4x12 that I've tried it against (yes even the Soldano 4x12 it replaced).

The 60L's are the Vintage 30's that Marshall and Mesa use, they have no icepick and more bottom end. They are nice. I tried lots and lots of speakers and kept going back to these.

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member