1010 Music Blackbox - Sampling Studio

Discussion in 'Keyboards and Synthesizers' started by Madsen, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Madsen

Madsen Member

Anyone interested in sampling & sequencing without a computer should give this a look.

Chimuelo likes this.
  2. Chimuelo

Chimuelo Member

Didn’t see any mention of it doing reverse on clips or samples.
    If you want to replace software samplers and hardware loopers you need a way to reverse samples.
    Hopefully I missed this browsing through the manual.

Have you read the pdf yet?

Sure looks like a great device.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

According to the User Manual:
    Sample: Use a sample pad when you want to be able to control
    start and end points for playback and looping. This mode
    supports reverse playback
    , along with forward and
    bidirectional looping.

Chimuelo likes this.
  4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've been looking at this as a possible backup or complement to my Octatrack. I had the impression that you had to play it with your hands, like the TE pocket operators, buta quick glance at the manual says there is support for MIDI Program Change and MIDI Notes can be used to trigger BlackBox pads.

I'm unclear on the MIDI CC support but there appears to be internal modulation routings at least.

It apparently has a Song mode, which should appeal to the couple of folks who complained repeatedly about the Digitakt not having one.

They seem to be updating the BlackBox regularly. This was posted just a week ago:

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Based on your input we are pleased to make available our next beta release, version 1.2. Here is the list of what’s new:

• Simple granular synthesis. We built this enhancement in response to requests for loop crossfading–it takes the idea much further. Look for a new option in the Sample/Clip/Slicer drop down menu. Granular mode works as an extension to sample mode. You can define the pitch, start, stop, length, loop mode, etc. You also get these parameters per voice:
      • Grain size: 1024 to 16384, which is about 10ms to about 200ms
      • Grain count: 2-8. Running 8 grains sounds cool but eats up the processor
      • Spread: The amount of randomization in grain position surrounding the playhead
      • Speed: How quickly the playhead advances through the waveform.
    • Copy and paste of PADS. From the PADS screen, turn the lower right knob to the right as you will see a new control panel.
    • Recording templates: Configure the pad mode, launch mode, envelope, and MIDI setup–before recording the sample
    • MIDI Keys channel. Hook a keyboard to the blackbox and it will play the active pad directly.
    • Knob control of the event step as well as pitch and duration in the SEQ editor.
    • MIDI output channel per pad
    • Control of the edit position in the text edit window. You can finally change the beginning of a file or preset name.
    • Pressing the grid button in the upper left corner of most control panels lets you switch PADS or SEQS directly without returning to the main screen
    • New navigation style for PADS. There are now only two main pages per pad: The Waveform and the Control Panel. The control panel has several sub pages directly accessible by a toolbar at the bottom
    Bug fixes:

• Saving or Trimming WAV files a few minutes in length would crash the box
    • Sometimes the knobs, particularly the upper right one, would jitter
    • Sometimes the thruing of MIDI controllers would alter the value slightly
    • On short envelopes, there was aliasing

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Madsen and Chimuelo like this.
  5. Chimuelo

Chimuelo Member

Great news indeed and total MIDI Control.
    I was about to pull the trigger on a Boomerang because of the Reverse Solo feature.
    Bidule can do all of the reverse and the looping but for 13 years it’s been my host only with zero crashes, and I gigged 6 nights up until the last few years.
    Nonsense adding risk when hardware can do all of this.

Thanks for the post.

Madsen likes this.
  6. Madsen

Madsen Member

Which version of the Octatrack are you using?
    I've got a DPS-1. 6 years later still wrapping my head around all it can do.

The sequencer/arranger on the Blackbox reminds me a bit of the old Ensoniq ESQ1/SQ80 sequencer, which I loved.

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I have a OT MkI. This was one of the comments on Elektronauts that stood out to me:

The flexibility and depth of the OT is one of the main reasons why I like it. Though, to your point, it is very easy to get lost. Most of my projects start out with one idea, but I often end up with something very different.

I work a little differently than this person in that I start something on the Octatrack with an idea for experimentation rather than an idea for musical composition - eg. a chord progression or a riff. But other than the difference of type of idea (music idea vs. sound design idea) my experience has been similar to the other user - the results are always different than what I had anticipated. When I'm experimentally minded, this is great - for something more conventional, I could see this being frustrating.

I do want to try to create a piece on the Octatrack using its Arranger mode, before purchasing another hardware sequencer.

Madsen likes this.
  8. Madsen

Madsen Member

Are you familiar with the Octaedit software? It opens up a whole nother can of beans for the OT.
    http://octaedit.com/features/

I started out writing with limited electronics so for me putting something down has rarely been a matter of capturing what's in my head & more an exploration of what the idea can become once it hits the gear.

I got the OT to use as my ultimate drum machine. Dumped my massive drum sample library in it & it's worked well in that role. There's just so much more it can do.

I should probably spend more time exploring what I have but the blackbox looks so user friendly & intuitive. Might work better as a tool for writing actual songs.

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yup, I will put in my order while he's still taking them.

One of the reasons I want to do at least one song using the OT Arranger is to be better understand what my OT can and can't do. I'm aware of a few limitations like the 4-voice polyphony limit per MIDI track, but just being aware doesn't beat experience.

Madsen likes this.
  10. chunky48

chunky48 Member

Nah, life's too short, just being aware is good enough. I've been there so you don't have to, and 8 minutes of that video is enough for me to know that I'd trade my OT in for a blackbox with no regrets. That said, I was left with a lot of reservations/questions. From your comment in the other post, do you have a Digitakt? The OT managed to break me of my long dependence on song arrange functionality, so I wouldn't note its absence if the Digitakt did stuff the blackbox doesn't

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Nope, no Digitakt in my house.

Thankfully the Blackbox is not one of discounted items at PCA for Labor Day.

12. warren3333

warren3333 Member