103 Years Ago Today, Human History Intersected With Muddy Waters

tapeworm

"We remembered the man whose spirit gave new blues to an old city. He was the one who warmed up ice-cold Chicago with the sun of the Delta. Man, he was the son of the Delta- the source, the father to a thousand musicians, to cats who knew him and cats who weren't even born. He's still giving birth to the children of the blues. I just love saying his name. I just love telling everyone that Muddy Waters was my friend, that Muddy Waters was the man."
-Buddy Guy on Muddy Waters funeral

Probably my fav Muddy Waters clip ever.

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
I used to work for a great lady that had a big Muddy birthday party every year. She lost her bar and had it at her house the following year. She has moved away so no more Muddy parties. This makes me remember her so thanks for reminding me it's Muddy's birthday ;-)

BigSB

I saw him open for Eric Clapton in '80! Jerry Portnoy on Harp. He called Eric his son.
Not that you or anyone in this thread mentioned it, but this sort of thing gives the lie to "whites can't play blues" and similar crap.

The man had Little Walter Jacobs, Big Walter Horton AND James Cotton on his bandstand and could have his pick of guitar players and harp players.

Portnoy was great in those days. A fine harp player in his own right, his pedigree with Waters and others notwithstanding.

The only shame is that Muddy's style has become the default "blues" style for most bedroom bluesmen and open-jam heroes.

That is, of course, when they're not trying to be The Strat In The Hat.

Memphistokid

He introduced me to the Blues even before I knew there was something called the blues. Lately been more Howlin than Muddy playin in the car, but Mr. Morganfield is still the beginning for me. Without Muddy, no EC and BG...and they're both part of a dying breed. BLUESMAN. RIP....say hi to Johnny.

Lef T

Play on Muddy.
Maybe Muddy and Howlin and Jimi are sitting somewhere right now jammin away.
Muddy turns to Jimi and says.
That's real good Jimi,but try saying it with a few less notes.

rwmct

Saw him at the Shaboo Inn in Wilimantic, CT. I don't remember who was playing harp, but Pinetop Perkins was on the piano.

Trending Topics