• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

$1069 for a Highway One? Really??

BadAssBill

I know we've seen price increase threads, but Fender has lost their mind. Maybe this is the first time I've gone down the list to see what things are costing.

WTF?
$1069 for a Highway 1?
$1400 for an American Standard Tele? REALLY?
$2500 for an EJ?

Has anyone bothered to let them know these are bolt on guitars?

storm319

That price is for the Texas special version. The standard Highway 1's are $749 - 899. American Standards were under $1k last year right?? These prices are ridiculous!

gkoelling

It may take a little time but everyone will get used to the increase and life will go on. If you want a Fender, you'll pay the price. If not, build a partscaster. I'd take any of mine over a "Fender" any day.

Guitar Dave T

It may take a little time but everyone will get used to the increase and life will go on. If you want a Fender, you'll pay the price. If not, build a partscaster. I'd take any of mine over a "Fender" any day.
No kidding. Now Fender is within $200 of something you can get a really good local builder to build for you with a better nitro finish, better setup, better pickups and better fretwork, including no fret-tang-overhang.

I'm just guessing, but did their board of directors decide on this increase maybe sometime before the economic meltdown?

gkoelling

No kidding. Now Fender is within $200 of something you can get a really good local builder to build for you with a better nitro finish, better setup, better pickups and better fretwork, including no fret-tang-overhang.

I'm just guessing, but did their board of directors decide on this increase maybe sometime before the economic meltdown?
I have to say, I've owned some nice Fenders but I now have a bunch of partscasters that didn't cost near as much as what they're asking for Am Std's and I wouldn't trade any of them for a "real" Fender.

I'd keep mine over a CS guitar simply because I put them together with the features I wanted, not what they thought would fit the majority best. I don't blame them for building that way, it's the only practical way for a large manufacturer to build.

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
It is kind of a shock at first. I bought a Hwy. 1 tele with a couple of dings at GC in about 01. Cost me $350! I bought a used Hwy. 1 Strat at GC last year for $400.

As I've said before, I don't think Fender is doing this because they want to stick it to anyone or because they're crazy greedy. I see a lot of price increases on various products across the board and I'm sure it all comes down to trying to stay afloat. While it does seem nuts to raise prices during an economic meltdown, it makes sense when you think about it. Costs continue to rise, and fewer people are buying. So what do you do? All too many companies are laying off employees and cutting back on production. Quite a few are raising prices in order to maximize the profit on each unit, since fewer units are selling. Of course plenty of companies are doing both. Fender's just trying to keep it in the black.

benjammin420

If you want a Fender, you'll pay the price. If not, build a partscaster. I'd take any of mine over a "Fender" any day.
thats absolutely my plan for my next purchase (want a tele deluxe setup in a strat body) with so many DIY parts suppliers, fender is going to increase themselves right out of business

Guitar Dave T

Bolt-on has nothing to do with it, but yes, those prices are crazy.
I respectfully disagree. While I've owned and loved plenty of Strats and Teles, Bolt on guitars have a huge margin of error compared to set necks, and can be assembled by practically anyone, with little-to-no luthiery skills. This means they cost relatively little to mass produce.

Guitarman3366

I tink that those are the retail prices. For example, when I worked in a music store last year the retail price of a Highway One was $999.99 but the MAP (minimum advertised price) was $749.99.

So now, with a retail of $1130 the MAP would be $899- those are the prices on MusiciansFriend.com....

I think guitar player mag calls MAP the street price....

-Ben

jpage

I respectfully disagree. While I've owned and loved plenty of Strats and Teles, Bolt on guitars have a huge margin of error compared to set necks, and can be assembled by practically anyone, with little-to-no luthiery skills. This means they cost relatively little to mass produce.
:agree

Big Boss Man

I'm not sure how Fender expects to survive with these price increases in an economy teetering on the edge of depression. It should be interesting.

Goldstrat

I like the older Japanese Fenders better than any of the new ones and you can get them all day long used for $500. They are way better than any Highway one I have ever played.

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure how Fender expects to survive with these price increases in an economy teetering on the edge of depression. It should be interesting.
I think the mentality is that people who are hurting aren't buying guitars for any amount of money. This leaves the people who aren't hurting and Fender figures they'll shell out a little more.

Trending Topics