.10's made my Anderson Pro Am into a new guitar!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Guitar Fixation, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

My Pro Am is a Mahogany body with a roasted maple neck, jumbo frets, and a .95 - 1.00 neck (as fat as they were willing to go). It came with a German Floyd (R4 nut) that I swapped out for a Gotoh (it didn't fit perfectly, I had to remove the bar holder for the OFR and put it on the Gotoh as the Gotoh's was too deep for the route that was cut). I also changed out the pick ups for Suhr Aldrich, I love the bridge Aldrich but am not sold on the neck. I am thinking I may try somthing with a more PAF flavor...

The guitar was cool and sounded good, but it never really did huge things for me. I recently took it in for a set-up and had them set it up a 1/2 step down as I was playing lots of Van Halen at the time. My shop recommended that I put .10's on it as the action will feel looser. Got the guitar back and it did indeed feel the same as .009's to me at a 1/2 step down. The guitar felt the same and time went on. This morning I decided to learn a few Slayer tracks (who doesn't love a little Slayer on Sunday?) so I tuned up to standard and made the necessary adjustments and that's when it all changed! The Anderson is a whole new guitar with the .10's at standard tuning, it is unreal. It is a monster now! I was playing it for about two hours and didn't even notice the time go by.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pcbb

pcbb Member

3. empty71

empty71 Member

Sweet guitar! Love your neck specs! ;)

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've never seen a layout like that on an Andy! Very cool.

5. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

Looks like Nuno's signature guitar. Great looking!

6. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Thanks guys! It is badass. I was just playing it. Oddly enough, I ended up changing the strings on my K-Line Truxton (Tele) fron .10's to .009's and it feels much more playable. Interesting how guitars feel with different string gauges....