10's on a strat.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by diacomo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. diacomo

diacomo Member

OK, this may have been answered in the past, but fresh information is always better. I think 9 gauge is good but my not shred-friendly maple american deluxe ash strat is kind of asking for 10s. I'm not sure if it makes a difference through the amp, but I think thicker strings will feel a lot better in my hands. I'm talking about expressive playing and a sort of rewarding "resistance" from the strings. I have a 9s equipped Brian Moore for the shredding stuff, so, should I go for it? The only thing that scares me is the nut modification, which I can't do myself. Suggestions?

2. jakob

jakob Member

You don't have to modify the nut for 10's.

Just try it, it's not a big deal, maybe takes you a few days to get used to it.

3. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I thnk you would be much happier with the 10's once you got used to them. It won't be very difficult to re-adjust and it will be well worth the effort.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

Give it a whirl. I've never had anything else on my Strat ... I've sometimes pondered going to 9's when I've struggling to play something tricky, but I inevitably tell myself the same thing ... shut up and play your guitar ... and all is well with a bit of practice.

5. dunara

dunara Member

+1!

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Never had a problem with 10s on a Strat myself. Go for it!

Besides, I've heard that in Texas they've raised players that use Strats with 11s - and even 13s! Somebody needs to confirm this though. :p

Buggs Henderson tells a funny story about somebody at a NAMM show looking for a 9. He said "heck, we don't even floss with 9s!"

7. 5E3

5E3 Member

:agree

I use 10's on my Strat ... always have :)

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I like custom lights on my strats, tele and longer scale guitars like my PRS CE24 & Firebird heavy bottom light top. 9-46. I like 10's on shorter scale Gibson guitars on my Les Paul,& ES335

9. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Used to use 9's on my Strat. Wanted a little more 'oomph' from the guitar, so I installed Texas Special pickups and was underwhelmed. Don't know what made me do it, but I upped the guage to 10's and WOW! - couldn't believe the sonic difference. Now I use 10's on all my guitars.
    It will make a difference through your amp, and if rewarding "resistance" is what you're after, you'll score in that area as well.
    You might need to widen the nut's slots. If this makes you uncomfortable, a tech should charge a minimal amount of money for this.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

11s is how I've lived for the past 21 years of playing.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

The way a nut comes on a STrat the nut slots should not be an issue for 10's.
    More than likely it was cut for 10's to begin with.

12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

If you don't like them you can awalys try the GHS Santana 9.5

13. drolling

drolling Member

Each & every one of my guitars (too many!) scream for their very own gauge of strings, and while I love the slinky feel & snappy tone of 9s on my tele, my 50s-style strat really needed 10s from the get go.

Tho' factory strung w/9s, the neck needed no adjustment whatever when I went up to 10s.

And she sounds better now,
    but more importantly, stays in tune when using the whammy.

I say; go for it!

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I don't care for 9s on anything. I have to have string resistance, just as I have to have a pick that isn't floppy. I'll bend 9s right off the neck.

15. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I used 9.5's for over 20 years. In the last 5 years I've switched to 11's and I'll never go back. Once you get used to the heavier gauge it's no big deal and the response and tone from the guitar is far better in my opinion.

16. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I used 9s my whole life which means 30+ years of playing. When I go my first Strat this year I put power slinkys on it and wasn't impressesed at first, but now I'm kind of digging it. The on place I miss the 9s is on the second fret of the G string.

I still have 9s on my Jackson for now.

BTW there is a noticable difference on the stray with heavier strings in the sound.

GAD

17. diacomo

diacomo Member

thx everybody, I'll do it and I'll let you know. Later.