• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

11 Rack - help me with the high end

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I'm working on a new AC30 "pushed" patch on the 11 Rack. It actually sounds pretty nice live into nearfield monitors and a power amp / FRFR cab. But the high end is pretty abrasive/grainy and biting. The single note stuff has some chime which I dig, but hitting it harder with chords it's a little brutal. Is there something (with tubes possibly) that I could put in the FX loop to tame this and bring out more 3D swirl, without losing the top end detail? Thoughts?
The initial portion is pretty dry, then I engage the Tape Echo delay which I dig a lot (probably too much lol!)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9722066

gsozz

The grit and grainieness (sp) that I here, when the top strings are hit hard, may be the same thing I was getting on my AxeFx. I found that if I had the input level set at a level that allowed the signal to get into the yellow lights (green,yellow,red) on the input, I was getting some digital distortion along with the slight breakup that I wanted.
I would try turning down your input gain. Also, filter out frequences above 5000 to 6000 hz.
Hope this helps...:JAM
gsozz

M

Member 995

Balancing the treble and cut controls is key to getting the chime without the bite. Remember that the Normal volume doesn't go through the tone controls, so just focus on the other volume to start.

Which speaker sim are you running through? Which microphone? On axis or off?

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Balancing the treble and cut controls is key to getting the chime without the bite. Remember that the Normal volume doesn't go through the tone controls, so just focus on the other volume to start.

Which speaker sim are you running through? Which microphone? On axis or off?
Thanks guys! I will have to double check when I get home but I believe it's the 2x12 with Blues cab with a C414 off axis? I know that the 414 is known for high end sybilance, but like I said -- it does capture some chimey stuff on the single note passes, it's just very abrasive with full chords/open strings hit hard.
The tone I'm going for is that Matchless "crushed glass in honey" vibe. Right now there is way too much crushed glass, not nearly enough honey ;)
It FEELS really good though, that's for sure.

"Also, filter out frequences above 5000 to 6000 hz" -- I don't think this is possible with the 11 Rack <no PEQ> yet and the GEQ only goes up to 3.25K

M

Member 995

Personally, I would have used the ribbon microphone as a starting point. Try that and then go back and re-tweak the amp.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Personally, I would have used the ribbon microphone as a starting point. Try that and then go back and re-tweak the amp.
I will give that a shot. It was a tad flabby upon initial testing, but I will give it another shot.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom