11 rack sounds cold....

sf audio

I'm putting together an 11 rack system for versatility in band playing. Here's my setup -
11 rack
Rocktron velocity 250 power amp
2x10 closed back carvint T210 speaker cab with eminence legend 1058 and ramrod.
The sounds aren't bad, but when I compare them to the my Marshall 6100 it's obviously "colder", especially in the midrange. I know that's not a fair comparison and I don't expect it to sound like a tube amp, but it's a noticeable difference and I'd like to close the gap. So, here is what I'm thinking -
Better power amp? the V250 isn't bad...I usually leave the reactance and definition off, as it tends to color the signal too much. Maybe something that sounds warmer? Reading up on it it seems folks prefer solid state power amps for use with modelers.....
Replace the cabinet - its a bass cab so maybe it sounds a bit funky for guitar since it's so long and deep..
FRFR speakers. Either replace the speakers (PA type speakers?) in the cab or get an entirely new setup.
Thoughts? Keep in mind I don't want to break the bank so solutions would have to be within a few hundred dollars..

Thanks

apoyando

Silver Supporting Member
Rebias the tubes in the Eleven rack...
( sorry ..cheap shot )
Actually you should start by considering using a powered full range speaker like an Atomic CLR or another variant...
If not that use a guitar cab ( not a bass cab) and turn off the cab in the Eleven rack ( if you haven't already )

Axe-Man

You need to use the reactance and presence knobs; if it's run as a poweramp rig it's going to be coloured and it needs it IMHO.

Tube poweramp or FX return of a tube amp is your ticket to far better tones; just try it into the Marshall.

sf audio

Rebias the tubes in the Eleven rack...
( sorry ..cheap shot )
Actually you should start by considering using a powered full range speaker like an Atomic CLR or another variant...
If not that use a guitar cab ( not a bass cab) and turn off the cab in the Eleven rack ( if you haven't already )
I'm using the rig out no cab setting. those atomics are out of my range right now. Maybe a PA speaker would kinda do it? Or a coaxial speaker?

apoyando

Silver Supporting Member
Many feel that modelers work " best " when the amplifying system is relatively uncolored..so a powered PA speaker is one possibility ...or a PA speaker using your current power amp...
All of this is pretty subjective..and most low-end PA speakers are not uncolored either. This can be quite the rabbit-hole; whatever you use you'll need to EQ your patches for your ear and the speaker you ultimately select .
Go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or any store that will let you try a few...no doubt a few will stand out as better for what you'd like to hear.

wpawley

You using it as a stage monitor and running direst to FOH? If you are not running direct to FOH but relying on the Bass Cab for your guitar sounds, I would think if you could lay your mitt's on a pair of 412 cabinets, it would sound a lot better (especially since the 11R has stereo effects and the Velocity is a stereo amp).

mojah

Try turning the impedance setting down in the 11R. It defaults to auto. Lowering it should warm and loosen it up. Try that before using the parametric eq.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
When I had my 11 rack I used it with a Alto TS112A and the tones were actually quite good and very clear.

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
I ran mine thru a Crate Power Amp bridged for years into a 2x12 cab with no problems.
It sounded so good I sold it for stupid money. It can be done. I wouldn't have run it thru a baas cab though.
I'm seriously thinking about another. Pre and post EQ solve most problems. I think I left the input on 1 meg but don't quote me on that.

Chris O

I don't know that the bass cab is the best choice. I used one with a different preamp once, and it made it sound surgically sterile. That would be where I would start. The Rocktron is a great power amp, and if anything, once of the "warmer" SS power amps out there. Also - are you leaving the cab sims on? With the setup you're using, I'd leave them off.

FRFR - I tried that with the 11R, but I don't like their cab sims. I thought that was the weakest link in the unit.

I just sold mine yesterday, but I'm not gonna lie, for the money, there isn't a better sounding unit under $500.

Dr Git

yeah i was going to suggest Singtall's presets as well. I played a 11R with them for a few years and all i adjusted was the delay setting a bit and i redid his noise gate to my tastes, both super easy to do. Tones were excellent though, hoping he does one for the AX-8

Dr Git

I don't know that the bass cab is the best choice. I used one with a different preamp once, and it made it sound surgically sterile. That would be where I would start. The Rocktron is a great power amp, and if anything, once of the "warmer" SS power amps out there. Also - are you leaving the cab sims on? With the setup you're using, I'd leave them off.

FRFR - I tried that with the 11R, but I don't like their cab sims. I thought that was the weakest link in the unit.

I just sold mine yesterday, but I'm not gonna lie, for the money, there isn't a better sounding unit under $500.

Totally agree...sold mine too recently to help fund my AX-8

sf audio

Yeah, I'm going to try an actual guitar cab, as I think the bass cab is a bit flat sounding for guitar. Running it rig out no cab....

Anyone tried an exciter (aphex rackmount type) with an 11R? Seems that the unit is missing that last 5 or 10% of "life" that a good tube amp has, and I'm thinking an exciter might help....or not?

Trending Topics