112 cabs for D style amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sean French, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I will need another 112 cab in the near future.I have a standard Two-Rock 112 cab that is wonderful.I also have a standard TR 212 cab but,will probably sell it and replace it with a 112 cab.
    Since I can't try the cabs out that I have interest in I'm hoping those who have played them can give me the scoop.
    The cabs that I'm thinking of are the D style front ported(Bludo,Hermida etc.),another rear oval ported cab like my TR and the Port City OS.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

:agree

4. Sean French

I've never owned a front loaded/front ported 112 cab.
    Can this style cab be too boomy?
    The 112 cab I will get is going to be for my incoming Bludo-Tone.
    I may get a 112 from Brandon.His cabs are a bit bigger than the Hermida but,sound identical he says.
    Just wondering how a rear oval ported cab compares to a front ported cab.

5. trap

trap Supporting Member

i just ordered a 112 ported from hermida for my jet .he recommended the ported for a d style amp. i'm glad you asked this question sean because i am a bit hesitant with the ported cab and there is still time for me to change the order.

6. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Hermida's ported cabs sound killer... not too boomy. The ones I've heard had EV12s in them.

7. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I've got the Hermida and I like it a lot. I had a Two Rock oval open back and I also use a Bogner cube but the Hermida is my favorite so far. I am using a Celestion CL 80 in there with my 100 watt Ayan D replica. It sounds really good. My amp seems a little stiff in the clean and this cab seems to give it a bit of give and I really like that. I am not a big fan of the EVM 12 sound and haven't put one in this Hermida cab yet even tho I own 2 of them. I have to say the Ayan amp is the only amp I ever remotely liked with the EV tho. Alf likes the 12-65 if not the EV. I have used a bogner cube with G12H30 with a TR Custom and it sounded amazing on the bandstand. Excellent combination.

Dennis

8. Matt F

Matt F Member

I had a 2x12 hermida prted Z cab. Great cab. Didn't weigh a bunch either. The Mystik cabs look nice too http://www.mystikcabs.com/ .

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

so the hermida is ported then? an ayan amp! wow! i would love to hear some clips of that baby!

10. Sean French

Can anyone compare and contrast an open back with an oval port with a closed back front ported cab?

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Yes it is ported and the ports are to the right of the speaker top and bottom instead of the bottom L and R like on a Bogner cube. I believe it is a Dumble design with slight modifications by Hermida after some testing. It is very similar to the Mystik but Mystik only builds with finished wood with no tolex. Mystik referred me to Hermida if I wanted this design in tolex.

Yes, my Ayan amp sounds great..it is an 80's style amp with el34 and gets big cleans and nice rock crunch with singing lead tones. The build quality is exceptional. It is like a work of art inside. Gil is a really nice and helpful fellow that knows a lot about these D designs.

Dennis

12. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

I am not an expert but in describing it I would say that the closed back ported cab sounds deeper with a tighter low end, like a bigger cab than 1x12. I like 2x12 open but in a 1x12 I like the ported cabs better. They fill a room surprisingly well, not as beamy as you would think a closed 1x12 would be.

Dennis

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Sean,

I've owned a bunch of 1x12 cabs - the Hermida is possibly the most balanced - especially with an ev 12L, compact, well made. Great cab.

I get amazing clean and overdriven tones out of the Hermida. This style of cab with the closed back and front two ports is a great match with any d-style amp.

[​IMG]

14. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Consider Bob Burt -- I know he will make front-ported, Dumble-inspired cabs. He is a fantastic guy and makes absolutely top shelf cabinets.

Also consider the Port City Wave. It is not exactly the same as the style cabinet you're talking about, but it is closed back and I think it has a great bass thump while still sounding very open.

15. JTC

JTC Member

I picked up a 1x12 ported cab from Alf Friday evening, I love it! It sounds great with my TR Jet, it’s light and compact. As I prefer Fender style treble tones, he loaded it with an Eminence Red White and Blues. This combination nails what I was looking for, but sounds richer, bigger. It sounds great with my tiny 50 watt Little Lanelei too!
    (He’s also a super nice guy.)

16. Matt F

Matt F Member

Here's my old Hermida 2x12 ported. Great cabinet.

[​IMG]

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

i like the ported back style because it sounds a little more spacey if you will. Its very open sounding and has great sparkle. Not as directional as other cabs. I would be afraid of having it be directional like a 4x12 when you have the front ported cabs.

18. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Get/keep one open AND one ported. I put BeamBlockers on EV-equipped cabs.

The sound "swirls", projects and thumps--clean or dirty

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I thought the same, but for whatever reason, the sealed/front ported doesn't have any of the beamyness/directionality of a 4x12. I really don't care for closed back cabs at all, but the hermida cab doesn't sound like a closed back.

20. PFCG

PFCG Member

that makes me very interested. Im kind of thinking about getting a 2x12 cab, and was thinking about a two rock sig cab, but this is so much cheaper! I would probably load it with an EV and a Scumback.