112 ext cab with combo open or closed

Artjr

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Fryette Memphis 30. I want to stack it on a 112 cab. I have a 412 with GBs that sounds great when pushed. I love the punch I get from it, I just don't need it for the volumes I'm playing The combo speaker is not used in conjunction with the 412. I'm wanting to run a 112 cab along with the combo speaker and get some punch from the ext cab. Should I go open or closed back. Any suggestions on a good 112 cab 23.5 wide

vintage66

I also have a 4x12 with greenbacks and am interested in some replies but I would lean toward closed or one that converts to semi open. I wonder if a 25w single greenback would be overshadowed by the combo speaker?

Hefalump

I like semi open. Mesa does this with some Cabs. The widebody with oval opening in back sounds real good. But it is loud.

handtrix

OP
You revealed your answered to your quest in your own post. Closed back.
"The punch you love from a 4x12".
This is what you are looking for as you are getting your bass from coupling with the floor. If it's too punchy the put it on (removable) casters. ;-)
I would also go with the same speaker & grillcloth.

GasMask

I have a StoneAge 1x12 closed back (convertible) with a creamback speaker. I think of it as a mini 4x12 greenback cab.

vintage66

I have a StoneAge 1x12 closed back (convertible) with a creamback speaker. I think of it as a mini 4x12 greenback cab.[/QUOTE
That sounds like a good bet, have you compared it to an actual 4x12 with greenbacks? I've thought of this option or a 2x12 greenback cab.

GasMask

That sounds like a good bet, have you compared it to an actual 4x12 with greenbacks? I've thought of this option or a 2x12 greenback cab.
I've played through 4x12's many many times, but I've never compared the two side by side. I've also owned a 2x12 (D/13) sealed cab with greenbacks for years. Nothing is going to sound exactly like a 4x12- but they are of course extremely heavy, and inappropriate in a lot of situations. The creamback is designed to sound like a G12M, but with more power handling. My StoneAge cab definitely has that classic greenback vibe to it. To me, it really depends on power handling needs and portability needs. A 2x12 sealed with creamback 65's sounds great for someone who wants the power handling of a 4x12. I love the portability of the 1x12, and it sounds great mic'd. It's loaded with the G12M-65 Creamback. I think more speakers and bigger boxes will almost always sound better- especially in big rooms or outdoors. If size and weight were a non-issue, I might go with a greenback loaded 2x12 over a creamback loaded 1x12.

StoneAge cabs are killer BTW- they will outlive you, and are an investment you'll never regret.

Kent

I have a Memphis 30 and really like the stock speaker. When I "add" a Bogner Cube with a vintage 30 it's louder with the closed back than the stock open back Memphis speaker and I think the stock speaker sounds better by itself. Could be a higher db rating on the vintage 30 than the stock speaker. So I don't care to add that external cab with that speaker. Perhaps a lower db rated speaker so the volume is more even would work. Something to consider. Do you run the input switch on Smooth, Crisp or Fat. The fat setting is much more punchy. But I'm sure your aware of that.

boditwai

I have a Memphis 30 and really like the stock speaker. When I "add" a Bogner Cube with a vintage 30 it's louder with the closed back than the stock open back Memphis speaker and I think the stock speaker sounds better by itself. Could be a higher db rating on the vintage 30 than the stock speaker. So I don't care to add that external cab with that speaker. Perhaps a lower db rated speaker so the volume is more even would work. Something to consider. Do you run the input switch on Smooth, Crisp or Fat. The fat setting is much more punchy. But I'm sure your aware of that.
Hi there! Exact same experience as Kent, running a Memphis with a DrZ 1x12 loaded either with a V30 or a Weber 12F150.
However, I like a lot to run my Leslie 16 (Weber 10A150, 50w, yes I like webers :) ) in parallel with the internal speaker (probably because the Leslie is on the inefficent side of sound projection...)

Kent

I also was considering that the front ported Bogner closed back was just projecting more, reguardless it still is perceived to be louder than the stock open back. I contacted Eminence for the db rating and he told me it was close to the Legend 1275 if I remember correctly which is 101 db. I wasn't sure that was accurate info. I would love to find another one on eBay or have the guys at Fryette chime in as to where to get the most similar speaker if there out of production or there suggestions for a ext. cab for that amp, perhaps Fane?

rburkard

Platinum Supporting Member
I would recommend a 1x12 closed back with a speaker having a higher efficiency rating. The closed back cab does not spread out as much as your combo amp does and if you intend to place the combo amp on top of the 1x12 extension cab, you will automatically hear more from the combo than the extension cab. The higher efficiency speaker in the extension cab will compensate for this and you will have a more balanced perceived sound and some tighter bigger low end.

Trending Topics