112 Pine Cabs (tonal difference(s))

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glazed67, Mar 10, 2015.

1. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

Hey All, I was looking to get a 112 pine cabinet. What would be the sonic difference(s) in these dimensions. All things equal, amp, speakers, guitar. How big of an impact will that 2.5 inches make, if any? Thanks for your input.

A: 20x17.5x12 or B: 20x20x12

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What will effect the tone most is the depth in my experience. I have done a bunch of cabs over the years.
    First.. I'm a Fender tone guy, so if you are into the closed back, marshall thing etc.. ignore me!
    10.5 to about 11" is great for the Fender sound and one 12" speaker. You get up to 12" deep and it starts getting hifi, boomy etc. Even deeper gets pretty compressed too.
    The deep cabs can sound cool in the music room... but at the gig just give it up.
    JMHO.

3. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, going for more of a fender type sound. So would you think that a 12" deep open back would be hifi/ boomy as well? I'm looking for something in between "boxy and "boomy.

4. jecars

jecars Member

Pine cabinet, 11 inches deep. Wider and taller too, about 40% more roomy than stock Blues Junior cabinet. Love it, plan to be buried with it ;)

Celestion Blue speaker interacts awesome with cab, and spring reverb sounds much more liquid too. Usually practice at 90 dB or so, sweet reactive edge-of-breakup tone. When totally cranked, well then it sounds like a typical cranked BF, so I would say that cabinet doesn't make a difference when pumping at >100 dB.

[​IMG]

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

12 will likely be getting there...I would go 11. I've actually bought cheap Lopi etc cabs, peeled/rolled back the covering and sawed off some wood. to get rid of some depth. Was able to glue the covering back on fine.