112 vs. 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chaz bernstein, Jan 8, 2006.

1. chaz bernstein

chaz bernstein Member

all other things being equal, what's the difference in sound between a 112 and a 210?

for instance, if you ran a head into an a/b box and toggled back and forth between the two, which would sound how?

thanks! operators are standing by...

2. woude

woude Member

What I experienced:
    more solid lower bass frequencies on the 112 than the 210, 210 sounds more open in the higher frequencies than a 112

with most speakers and cabinets, 210 will sound a tad louder and more room filling than a 112

3. chaz bernstein

chaz bernstein Member

...a 210 is more likely to cut through?

4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I want to know the same thing.
    I don't like boomy bass from a 6 string guitar, so I guess the 2x10s would be ok?
    And what are good sounding 10" speakers, British tone. Celestion?

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

My experience is limited to a Fender black face Vibrolux. It came with two Kendrick 10" speakers I tried a few different 12" speakers in first a remote open back cab and then later on a custom made baffle board to fit the single 12 in the Vibrolux cab. I always preferred the sound of the single 12 it almost didn't matter what speaker I chose. In every case the single 12 was louder and had better bass. I ended my search with a 12" green alnico from Weber.

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

More speaker mass in a 2x10. Therefore, more volume ( taking into consideration the wattage rating of the 10's and a 12 ) A little quicker speaker response in the 10's. More focused sound from a 1x12.
    Gosh, there are so may variables. I hope somebody like Scumback chimes in and gives us more of an analytical breakdown.
    Running 4 ohms vs a single.......
    Running parralel vs a single....
    the effect of a larger cabinet for the 2x10
    HELP!!!
    I can really consider both, and have both. I just go with what sounds best for the head I am using. Of course, if it is a combo, then you have no choice for the night.

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

I LOVE the 2x10 cabs. I have a JDesign 2x10 loaded with tweo Weber alnico Blue Pups that just kills. I had a jam session on Sunday and hands down, the winner of the day with everyone was that cab played with a Hi Mu head.

I like it so much, I ordered a second cab for 4 Ohm. That one has a Weber 10F150 and 10F150T waiting for it

It just arrived today BTW.

8. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

For many years I thought the world turned around a 4x10 Super Reverb. One of my Marshall buddies used to tease me and say that once you try a "real speaker" you'll understand and I always thought he was crazy. Times change and now I agree that a 12 is the ultimate guitar speaker size. I prefer just one with a few watts behind it.

9. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

210 combos are my favourite, but I think you need 10's with juicy magnets to get the full tight bass as well as the cut and penetration of 210's. I larger cab also can make the bass response sound almost 12".

I've fooled some people into thinking my Old Flame was 212...after a while they hear the 10's (especially once they know they're there ;)) but the bass response is there so it's the best of both worlds IMO.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

in regards to cutting thru a mix, speakers no matter what size do so to their own varying degree. just depends on what the manufacturer feels like accentuating whatever frequencies.

but with that said, i've recently become a huge 10" speaker fan.

if anything, i found them to be much punchier, and hit you in the chest moreso than 12" speakers. i do alot of pull offs, and the strings just blast you with more sheer force than 12" speakers.

11. woude

woude Member

It seems that 10" speakers are way more dynamic than 12"speakers if when you play clean solo lines. It really blasts out of the speaker indeed!

12. Roe

Roe Member

weber's 10a150 is nice in a 2x10 cab!

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

IMHO a 2x10 rig is nice to play quieter gigs-- they really fill up a room with swirly sound.

A 12 incher is nice when you want to work out the amp a little more, say over a pounding drummer. More typical rock guitar sound to be had in 12".

There really are lots of variables, like reverb and guitar and style.

Also be aware of the room you audition the speakers in. Pay attention to how close or far the amp is from a wall.