11R in Summary?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by swinginguitar, Jul 7, 2014.

1. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Awesome! Please consider making a tutorial please! Would love to make a project like that one. Sounds really nice and its a clever idea. :aok

2. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Yeah, I'm using the parametric eq for High and low pass and I'm also cutting the low mid a bit. On the amp the bass knob is on 1.5. I'm using the graphic eq after that to further cut low end and highs. I started making a clean patch last night using the Fender Lux and the same general eqs and effects...and it seems to be in the ballpark. My high gain patch is the Bogner blue with the 8X10 cab. For some reason that seems to work. I'm making these patches through my studio monitors with ARC2, because recording is the main priority, but I also have my Alto's. I'm sure a little tweak or two for those will have the happen. For the long term, using S-Gear for everything is an option, but I hate the idea of lugging a laptop and interface around. I bought the FCB1010 and the Alto's thinking they should work for S-Gear or a Kemper someday. I hope the 11rack works out.

3. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

At a minimum, post a link to the chassis you plan to use. I've been working on a similar project myself but finding a decent chassis my problem.

4. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Ditto that...plus i use a few pedals w/ S-Gear. It will take some time but I believe I'll get the 11R where I want it and have a great grab-n-go system for direct to PA gigs.

5. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I'm trying to go as small as I can, so I ordered the Hammond 1441-15 - it's tiny at 10x6x1. I know the FCB board will fit, but I have to cram the switches in there. I'm using momentary soft switches and on paper I can space them 2.25" apart without any problems. i also plan to somehow elevate the back of the chassis so it slopes at an angle. to be continued.

I wanted to wire jacks to the expression pedal circuits to use an external pedal, but it appears to be a non-standard control circuit (an older +5v control voltage arrangement) but my tests so far haven't been good. There is a guy on the fractal forum who did this but he later wrote that it was buggy long term....also to be continued.

fallback plan is to just jack the expression pedal directly to the 11R control input to bypass MIDI (but that won't help when I use the controller with S-Gear....)

6. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

PSA: the 1" chassis doesn't quite have enough clearance for the crystal oscillator, voltage regulator, and filter cap. Might want the 2"...

I'm going to try to bend and replace as needed to see if it will work.

7. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I'm making progress with my Eleven Rack patches. I had to use the parametric and graphic eqs, but it's sounding better every day. The eqs are basic corrective settings and seem to work with every amp...so I'm not constantly tweaking eqs. I would like to get it all done with the parametric so I could have that block back for a compressor or whatever, but it is sounding pretty good.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

EOL... Nice product and ridiculous feature set at current used pricing. Requires external gear (say epsi IR loader and maybe a great analog OD or two in front?) and could be killer.
    Shame on Avid...

9. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Yeah same here - I've dialed in some good stuff.

Haven't gone for EQ yet - I"m cycling thru cabs until I find the overall response I want, then I when i get close I'm going to EQ them all into the same ballpark so there's not a drastic tonal shift when I switch presets.

10. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Progress so far: I've built a rack case that loosely resembles an amp head (a la Gemini H), cut the expr pedals off my FCB1010 to make it smaller/lighter and added phantom power and 9v jack, and am working on a custom controller of my own design (kind of beta...a warm up for the big one to come later). Photos forthcoming..

Question for all of you...a thread on here about combo-looking enclosures for modelers has me thinking. I will be playing direct so don't need pwr amp/spkr/FRFR etc, but I'm thinking it would be neat to build a rack enclosure that resembles a small combo amp, and the back/speaker area could be used to store footswitch/cables/pedals/whatever.

What do you think? Aesthetically, what would it look like? Top mounted 11R? In the front like a traditional rack case but with grillcloth covering the storage area? Fender/Marshall/Matchless style cabinet? Is there an elegant way to pass a cable through to the front input jack even though all of the other wiring is in the back?

If you have any thoughts/input/suggestions, throw 'em at me!

11. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Are you going to post a tutorial or something on how to do the foot controller? Its souch a clever idea.

12. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

l'll get some pics together as I go.

I opted out of the FCB1010 rehouse idea - the board components are too tall to fit what I had in mind (the LED displays are huge, as is the filter cap), though it would be easy enough to do in a larger enclosure. So I opted to cut it down smaller to tide me over while i pursue something else.

It'll make more sense when I show pics, but what I did was salvage a 15v laptop power brick that will be mounted in a stompbox enclosure with midi jacks. the 15v gets sent down the midi cable, where it hits a 9v regulator. there is a 9v jack that will allow a stompbox power supply to be plugged in, overriding the phantom power, and i will also add an extra outlet to power anything 9v as needed on the floor. finally, either source of 9v goes to the FCB board, passing through the existing bridge rectifier to the 5v regulator on board.

The one I'm building is a very small 6x10x1 controller with 8-10 momentary footswitches for patch/bank/CC messages, as well as expression inputs (the idea being it will fit in a laptop bag for double duty as S-Gear controller). It's a warm-up exercise - i envision a larger controller that draws power from a "brain" in the rack that in turn sends midi thru to the 11R while also sending messages to a true bypass relay box in the rack so i can integrate some stompboxes realtime...able to toggle individual effects from the same board and/or save settings as a preset (luckily the 11R FX loop can be moved pre/post per preset!). I believe I can do it all via a standard XLR cable, which would be rugged and convenient. stay tuned.

13. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Dam thats a really neat idea. Im really curious about how everything will turn out.

14. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I have owned the 11R for a couple years now. It is my go-to practice rig at home through headphones or IEM. I just love the Matchless with a little compression, delay, and verb. Kick on the White OD and its heavenly! I can get lost there for hours....

15. B Money

B Money Member

I've also wanted to modify my FCB by cutting off the two expression pedals. I took it apart and it looks fairly empty in there, would just need to relocate the AC socket and power switch. the big challenge is cutting the chassis, probably need to hire a metal shop for that which would be cost prohibitive.
    Post some pics when you get a chance. Thanks

16. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I'll try to grab some pics tonite...

I crosscut mine on a common table saw and crosscut sled. If you know any woodworkers they can do this for you. With a carbide tipped blade, the aluminum cuts cleanly and evenly. Then you just move the black plastic end cap down and drill holes for the screws to pass through the new location.

I removed the AC inlet/power switch/transformer as part of my design, but if you need them you will have to relocate them. The transformer could be an issue - it's small, but I don't know offhand where you could put it.

The midi phantom power and/or DC jack idea is super easy if you want to go that route.

I had hum issues with mine, so couldn't get rid of the AC power fast enough, YMMV

17. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

OK so here's the rack case I put together over the weekend:

[​IMG]

I'm still gnawing on the idea of something that resembles a small combo amp...

18. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

..and the FCB

[​IMG]

Note the 9V input jack...another to be added as a courtesy outlet

[​IMG]

19. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Looks great!, but I like my pedals! Good job.

20. ccouch7

ccouch7 Member

The rack and the fcb look great! Will you be doing us a tutorial on how to do that mod to the fcb? Also if you don't mind, how wide is it now?
    Thanks, and nice work!