11R tryout - weird feedback issue

stinkfoot

Having been a stout "vintage tube amps with pedals" guy for years, I've now started considering a complete game change... currently testing the 11R + FRFR PA cabs as monitors, to see if that setup will do it for me in both live and studio settings.

So far, the 11R has really impressed me. As usual, I found most of the presets to be useless - too much of everything. But when I started building a couple of rigs from scratch, adding one thing at a time (and in more moderate quantities), things started to gel. The clean rig I put together almost out-Twinned my '70 Fender Twin :)

But I did come across one weird thing... with a distorted amp model running and using single coil pickups, leaning in towards the 11R (to tweak the settings) causes some really nasty feedback. It's not really microphonic (even though it sounds similar to pickup squeal), as it happens at any level. It's more like a feedback loop (like when you accidentally feed the input of a mixer back into itself). Switching to a humbucker pickup kills it instantly, as does moving away from the 11R. My only guess is that the 11R itself emits an electro-magnetic field that the single coils pick up, causing the feedback loop.

I often play in churches and other halls that have a system that feeds the PA output signal in electro-magnetic form straight to people's hearing aids (an "induction loop" system), and using single-coils in that type of setting can cause exactly the same nasty feedback issues. For that reason, I'm slowly moving over to Dimarzio Areas in my guitars, so the 11R issue might not be a problem after all. But has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

stinkfoot

Scratch that - it seems the problem is with the monitors... just to test if I can get used to this approach, I've borrowed a Yamaha Stagepas 300 setup (small mixer/amp unit with two 8" + horn cabs). I will most likely invest in better stuff if I decide to go this route. But there's nothin' wrong with the 11R, thus. :cool:

So far, it's looking like a pretty impressive unit. It's not as feature-rich as some of the other modellers, but what it does it does really well.

stinkfoot

Yup, that's probably what it was. The weird thing is that it happened with all single coil pickups I threw at it (pickups that won't squeal even with a loud tube amp running), but stopped as soon as I switched to a humbucker. Oh well :dunno

Anyway, I've decided to buy the 11R and run it both as a recording and live rig. This thing put quite a few of my amps and pedals out of work...

Trending Topics